Name:	P1050714.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	9251 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050719.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	9252

I have a Wesco alum I beam trailer. The cross members to I beam frame all have SS U bolts, Bolts, washers, and nuts. see first 2 pics.
    The bunk brackets are galv steel. The U bolts, Bolts, nuts and washers are what I think is zinc bc they are so degraded from lack of proper rinsing from PO.

all along the exterior of the I beam frame where the cross members are located have stainless hardware, as is the fender hardware and all misc bolts, light brackets etc etc.

I`m wondering why Wesco just didn`t use SS U Bolts for all the cross member to Bunk bracket joints, bunk bracket thru bolts for the wood, and fastening bolts for all the adjustable brackets for the keel bunk boards.

anyway, what would be correct fastener to use to refurb the hardware? stainless, galv or zinc? that will last a few years.

Last edited by SeaDawg3; 07-25-2015, 09:51 AM.

beuller?

Comment

My trailer has a similar mix (road king), might it be due to interaction of different metals? Good question....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_998.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	9436 well I cheaped out on this one and went with zinc hardware. by the time I bought all the new galvanized brackets (8 L, 4 bunk, 4L) and the 12 U bolts, associated hardware, a new coupler it was almost 2 bills. The stainless hardware was 3x the cost. I still need bunk carpet and a fixed trailer jack. and will look at the condition of these monster wood bunks when i remove the carpet.
        I recently installed new hubs, new wheels/tires and lighting all around to make it road worthy to get the boat moved around.

Comment

crappy weather day makes a good day to work on the trailer in the garage.
          what a pile of shyt I cut off wow!

need a few more front bunk pivot brackets, and bunk carpet and she`ll be good for the duration that we have the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050752.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	9929 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050749.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	9930 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050750.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	9931 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050753.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	9932 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050754.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	9933 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050751.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	9934 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050755.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	9935

Comment

Went through a similar exercise a few months back. Ended up with new brackets and axels. The carpet on the bunks was shot as well. Ripped all the carpet off and installed bunk slides from surfix (www.surfixinc.com). Works like a charm and the wood beams get time to dry out properly between dunkings. The traileris about 8 years old but the previous owner did not rinse between uses. The galvanized wheels were rusted through as well and had to be replaced.

Love the bunk slides - makes it easy to load and offload. Very slick though - don't unhook the boat or release the winch until you are in your launch position.

Comment

I`ve used the surfix bunk slides before, they are very nice, and yes be prepared for the bat to fly off the trailer...

I have`nt pulled the carpet yet, that`s next. haven`t decided on what to use either as I have new bottom paint of the hull...

Comment

The biggest problem is the bunk brackets that are installed over the bunk carpet. The carpet holds all that saltwater and over time, the water leaks down to the non-stainless hardware and then you have what you have.

I had the same thing start to happen to my bunk brackets until I needed to replace my bunk carpet and when I did, I made sure I only covered the top 1/2 of the bunk and made sure to NOT put the brackets over any carpet and instead, put the brackets directly onto the cypress bunk.

Comment

agreed! I found massive rust under those brackets where they covered the carpet. funny how the carpet did not rot, nor did the wood rot, but there was rust bonded to the carpet.
                  The trailer is not finished, that`s where I just stopped. need to get bunk carpet and continue when I can.

Comment

For me, stainless steel hardware is/was worth every penny. 9 seasons and not a speck of rust on anything. Anything but the bunk brackets that had been resting on the bunk carpets.

It is like that old commercial, "Pay me a little more now, or pay me a lot more later." I'd rather pay more and not have to replace it than have to spend the precious time later replacing it again anyway. You've already bought so you gotta do what you gotta do.

My Dad and I were laughing just the other day about zinc plated hardware or even tools, that rust just being left out in the rain. We laughed because it is just freshwater.

Comment

I`ve never had a trailer fall apart under my care. Even had some nice modified specific trailers to. Fortunately I get to keep it indoors. and that`s the gig with buying used trailers, never know what your going to get.
                      My last trailer rehab was a doosey, everything new, every bolt, nut, washer, lights, winch, springs, wheels, hubs, etc etc etc, it was specific to the boat, jet boat trailer...

Comment

I got 11 year old float on it comes with all stainless hardware I have no rust anywhere. Best trailer I've ever had love it

Comment

I have a selection of trailers under my little fishing rigs, most galvanized steel originally with galvanized hardware, all used in salt water. Over the years I've ordered stainless steel hardware from Champion Trailers for each one. Rust issues were eliminated on hardware. Most helpful was replacing the lag bolts connecting the bunk clips to the wood bunks, and SS U- bolts for bunk brackets.

I still get rust on galvanized bunk brackets, which transfers to the axles on the drip lines, and rusty springs. Spraying the galvanized surfaces with cold galvanizing works well (LPS seems to be the best). CRC-656 sprayed on the springs works really well. Be sure to use Never-Seize on all SS hardware to prevent galling of threads.

Comment

Trailers are a Pain In The A--.
                            I only buy new now and they still are a PAIN IN THE A--.
                            Engine Sales and Service
                            Ph +1 954.463.1515
                            Fx +1
                            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
                            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Thundra View Post
                              The biggest problem is the bunk brackets that are installed over the bunk carpet. The carpet holds all that saltwater and over time, the water leaks down to the non-stainless hardware and then you have what you have.

I had the same thing start to happen to my bunk brackets until I needed to replace my bunk carpet and when I did, I made sure I only covered the top 1/2 of the bunk and made sure to NOT put the brackets over any carpet and instead, put the brackets directly onto the cypress bunk.
                              Yep. I attached brackets directly to wood. Trimmed carpet around. Also bought the aluminum bunk brackets. Much thicker because of the aluminum but I expect them to last much longer. 15 bucks apiece. Wesco used shit hardware on my neighbors trailer, just saying...5 years and destroyed. I have most of my original hot dip hardware on my 2004 trailer. Wesco must have gotten a bad batch from China.

Comment

Working...
                              X