Truck tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck tires

I am in need of new tires on my 2012 Tacoma V6 4x2. I have Michelin LTX on there now and have loved them. I never towed with them but they have been great during the florida monsoon season. I hope to be towing a boat this winter so I want to keep that in mind for the tires I buy. What do you guys have on your trucks? Should I spent the extra $$ for another set of LTX? Thank you.

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
    I am in need of new tires on my 2012 Tacoma V6 4x2. I have Michelin LTX on there now and have loved them. I never towed with them but they have been great during the florida monsoon season. I hope to be towing a boat this winter so I want to keep that in mind for the tires I buy. What do you guys have on your trucks? Should I spent the extra $$ for another set of LTX? Thank you.
    I have a Tundra (2019) and I have the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's.. Came from the dealer like that.. This is the second Tundra I have had with these tires and I LOVE them.. My other Tundra (2017) had the same tire and they looked and rode like they were brand new.. They are VERY comfortable and last.. I have always paid the money for Michelin tires, but these are just awesome..

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

Comment

I would always ask “are you happy with what you’ve been running?”
      If so, and it’s not a monetary stretch, go back with what you’ve been happy with if you plan on keeping vehicle.
      Lots and lots of options and opinions on this subject.
      Just make sure you stay with at least the current load rating, regardless of brand/tread type you decide on.
      I’m a big fan of Michelin and Bridgestone/Firestone.
      My new truck (2000 miles now) came with Goodyear, but have been replacing OE tires mainly with Firestone Destination and Bridgestone Duelers on Armada and LR4.
      Feel free to fire away if you have any specific questions and I’ll try to help anyway I can.
      ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
      '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
      '18 Fountain 38 - sold
      ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

Comment

Michelin LTX tires are excellent tires for wet conditions and towing. Since you have a Tacoma, you're likely not pulling enormous amounts where a 10-ply is necessary.

Are these your only concerns: rain and towing? No offroad use, noise concerns?

My F150 came with Goodyear Wranglers and as much as i hate the looks, they have been excellent tires in terms of wet traction, mild offroad use (firelines and moderate mud holes), and have no problem towing my 3,500lb boat/trailer. They have 50,000 miles on them and will easily get another 10k. I was hoping to upgrade them before deer season for some slightly more aggressive rubbers, but i don't like throwing away good money when they've done the job so far.

Comment

Yes, my main concerns are towing (traction) and performance in rain. I am in south florida, no snow but it can certainly come down at times. I love the Michelin LTXs and I think I am going to do as Tyre suggested and just stay with those.

Can someone easily explain Load Index/Speed Rating? The options would be 111T and 120R. If I select 111T the load range is SL. If I select 120R I get another load range of E1. Price is about $30 per tire if I go with the 120R.

Again truck is a Tacoma V6. Max tow is 6500lbs though I'd like to keep it below 5k or even 4500.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice.

Comment

SL is standard load
            C = 6 ply rated
            D = 8 ply rated
            E = 10 ply rated
            As you can see, there is a big difference in standard load and load range E
            Keep in mind that in today’s tire world they are rated to X number of plies vs many moons ago they were actually constructed out of the denoted number of plies. Better materials, technology, construction methods, etc.

Speed ratings are letters that denote a tires sustained max speed capability.
            H = 130 mph sustained speed
            T = 118 mph sustained speed
            S = 112 mph sustained speed
            R = 106 mph sustained speed
            and so on. There’s probably a dozen different ones by now, I haven’t looked in a while but here’s a couple charts that may help you

Click image for larger version  Name:	78788319-2C9E-49F7-B008-73C1DE3C647A.png Views:	0 Size:	405.4 KB ID:	60219Click image for larger version  Name:	8F7F6D7D-530B-49BA-9013-2DCB8A55DC29.png Views:	0 Size:	386.6 KB ID:	60220
            ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
            '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
            '18 Fountain 38 - sold
            ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

Comment

Working...
            X