• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer tire

Bias or radial?

radial

Comment

I am not normally considered a cheap bastard. I do cheap out on trailer tires. I only have about a 6 mile round trip ride to ramp. I know I would have to do something different if I was going any distance. I used this place for a cheap radial. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/. Shockingly no shipping either.....

Comment

Boat trailer? Utility? Other?
        How often and how far do you tow?
        Size, capacity and number of axles?
        '12 Blackwood - 300 Verado's
        '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
        '18 Fountain 38 - 350 Verado's

Comment

Boat, 150 miles one way (300+ round trip) tandem, 7000lbs

Comment

Guessing they’re 15” and traveling that distance I would rec radials for that application.
            I’m not anti-bias, I keep a pair, and spare, on a small utility trailer that sees some off road duty also.
            But on 300 mile round trips I think you’ll prefer radials over bias.
            The new GY Endurance seems to be well built (time will tell) so that may be a consideration, imho.

I’m due for a set of four on Blackwood trailer and will be installing the GY Endurance on it.
            '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold

Comment

They are 14's, I did find some D rated radials.

Comment

Yep, you could install the new GY Endurance in an ST215/75R14 LRD at 2205 lbs per at max inflation for a total capacity of 8820 lbs, assuming you have clearance for the 215’s.
                '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Glad to hear your thoughts on the GY Endurance since I just ordered 4 of them this morning.

I own a number of different trailers that see very regular use, from my boat trailer to heavy equipment haulers and yesterday was the first time in my life I had a trailer tire blow out while rolling down the road. 1 year old tire on my boat trailer and I just hit a minor pothole doing about 45 mph. Sidewall blew out. Tire showed minimal wear, had maybe 1500 miles on it and was always kept at max inflation.

Last night, after a couple google searches I found this particular tire had a horrible reputation on the RV forums and decided they were all getting replaced with the Endurances. I'll put the take-offs on a farm implement that sees minimal road time and never goes above 20 mph.

Comment

Have the Endurances installed on my boat trailer. Certainly a good looking tire but haven't pulled it yet. We'll see how they hold up.

After much net reading and talking to my tire guy, it seems I have much to learn about the new world of ST tires (ie China made junk?). The days of putting tires on small trailers and pretty much forgetting about them other than monitoring air pressure and signs of dry rot appear to be over. Was totally unaware of speed ratings, etc.

After taking stock of the other trailers with ST tires, ordering 6 more Endurances this week. Probably will need another 4 shortly. Decided to bet that the extra $200 for made in USA is worth the investment. Take-offs on those trailers are 12-15 YO Goodyear Marathons.

Comment

Don't have a Goodyear dealer in town. I try and do business with people that do business with me. Went with Carlisle, load range D (2040 lbs), 8 ply. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/n...-trail-hd-tire If they don't hold up, I will go with the Goodyear.

Comment

I’m with ya on trying to reciprocate, especially in a small(er) town. At one time Carlisle made some quality products and would imagine since that specific tire is a relatively new design that recent technology has been integrated.

Chances are, should an isolated failure occur, that you’re hometown guy will go the extra mile to ensure your satisfaction. Heck, even Michelin, Moog, etc make booboos from time to time.

'17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold

Comment

Working...
                          X