Torsion Axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Axles

If you were changing to from springs to torsion axles, which name brand axle would you go with? And would you change?

What size trailer and how many axles?
    There are pros and cons.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

7000#, aluminum frame, tandem axle.

Comment

We use Rocket trailers, not sure what torsion axles they use, but we have had no issue's with them.
        On a trailer that small, changing to torsion's might be costly as compared to just replacing the springs.
        On a new trailer I would go torsion. They seem to be less maintenance so far. IMO.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I replaced mine 10+ years ago (axles and springs). Have replaced springs since. The axles are starting to show rust where the spindle is welding in. Also looking at another boat that trailer is in same shape. Last time I replaced axles and springs, I was close to price of torsion. I may be overly cautious about these things, but being in wrecker biz, I have seen broke axles/springs and bearings burnt out too much. It ruins a weekend or more.

Comment

Ole, what's your experience with faster tire wear on torsion axle trailers? I have a couple friends who use them and both their trailers eat tires.
            2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

Originally posted by blaster View Post
              Ole, what's your experience with faster tire wear on torsion axle trailers? I have a couple friends who use them and both their trailers eat tires.
              Distribution of the load and leveling is paramount.
              None of the torsion trailers I have eat tires, however, the one trailer I use on the Contender33 is a bit small, I had to slide the boat forward and lower the hitch to get load on the front tires.
              My large trailers have "E" rated tires, they don't wear much.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

If your trailer is in excellent shape, you can have custom torsion springs (different than a torsion axle) made by Rolls over in Tampa. Some of the models are aluminum rather than galvanized. They are spendy, but you won't have to do it ever again unless you skimp on bearing maintenance and grenade a spindle.
                Barefoot Boats
                contact@barefoot-boats.com
                (386)256-6977

Comment

My 02 cents

The only reason to have springs v torsion is price
                  Springs cost less

Comment

Originally posted by Comm. (VP) Mike Carrigan Sr. View Post
                    My 02 cents

The only reason to have springs v torsion is price
                    Springs cost less
                    Springs and such are available anywhere should you need a quick repair. Not sure about availability of torsion axles in an emergency?

Comment

Good topic, I'm looking at this decision on an aluminum 3 axle trailer for a 30' Grady. At the very least I need new bushings so I may as well make a decision. I'll follow the thread some more.

My use is salt, does that make any difference in the calculations?

Comment

While we are talking torsion axles here, how long do the rubber parts last? My trailer is an 08 and doing fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X