Boat trailer wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat trailer wiring

Why does trailer wiring suck so bad? I go to replace side marker lights and the wiring is corroded pretty far back from the connection to the side marker lights. I would have paid extra for better wiring when I purchased the trailer.

Wicking is what normally destroys wiring. Somehow water got inside the wire insulation and worked it's way away from the point of entry.

I feel your pain. We are constantly making harness repairs at work on the commercial trailers we sell and service. The spray that's used on the roadways to combat snow and ice is VERY hard on all wiring and any exposed metal.

It stinks but is a necessary evil.

Comment

Side marker lights are the worst. Most use the screws to the frame as ground and the electrolysis from the dis-similar metals eats them away. I just plan on replacing them every couple of years.

Comment

The original side marker lights failed because the housing was cracked. When they installed them they used rivets. The rivets were so tight that they cracked the housing and let water in to the leds. When I reinstalled them I made sure not to over tighten the rivets.

Comment

What IS the deal with that?
          Pay $$$$$$$ to get aluminum, SS hardware, Kodiak brakes, and they use not tinned, cheap wire.
          It can't change the cost of the trailer by $100.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Yeah I know whats up with that? I am already planning a complete electrical overhaul next year.

Comment

Stop dunking it in salt water should help!

Comment

What I see with trailer manufacturers is they put little emphasize on trailer wiring ( boat and cargo trailers). They will hang all the new fangled led's all over them and then use the cheapest wire they can get. Then if you are lucky, they will have connected them with butt connectors and not quick splice connectors. No heat shrink or heat shrink butt connectors. But they look good when they are new.
                Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Working...
                X