Familiar w/ Tires-Wheels, but Trailers are a PIA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familiar w/ Tires-Wheels, but Trailers are a PIA

Love having boat lifts, but engine service, the occasional summer storm threat and South AL winter still require me to put boats on trailers a few times a year so I have to deal with these necessary evils - yes I'm a winter candy A$$ but hate to be cold! Even though trailers are mostly hidden in back at my place I try to keep them up for times of need.

Anyway, was installing new calipers this weekend from the fine folks at Eastern Marine on Blackwood trailer (bought setup used and was a little rough when I got it) and the aluminum wheel clear coating has really gone to ugly on face of all 4 wheels - spare is fine. Having over 25 years in the tire business I'm a tad familiar with wheel repair & replacement, so I called wheel guys and he quoted $185 per to clean, polish and clear coat. Ok, how about just paint them? That'll be around $185 too. WTH, I can buy new ones from EM for half of that!

So what I'm thinking is just take a quart of paint stripper, apply it to the face and scrape it off. Then hit it with a wire wheel to smooth out corroded areas and shoot some rattle can silver or black wheel paint on and call it a day. Anyone try this method with success? Or just buy new wheels and call it a day?
    '17 NorTech 340 - 350 VRods
    '12 Blackwood - 300 VRods

Trailers are my biggest headache, a true P.I.T.A.
    Being IN the boat repair bidness, it is cheaper to buy new than refurb.
    But, I always tell me customers, try it and see.
    Like touching up cowlings.

And, you have not lived until you have to stop in Marathon to buy the obligatory $150 tire and rim from the scowly MoFo on the way to the keys.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

The Good Lord never intended for us to put anything metal in eighty degree salt water
      She knew better than that
      But..........we do it anyway.
      Then all of us, we're all guilty , we cuss the results

Comment

Wonder if Plasti-Dip would work on trailer wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by Sailfish 218 View Post
          Never even thought about that, great suggestion - thx! Worth some investigating for sure.

Comment

I would imagine it's is just like anything else, works great until the coating is compromised.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I know some of my sons friends have used it on their car wheels and seem to like it. One thing I've seen is that it's easy to spray a little more on whenever it's scratched or peeling.

Personally, I'll leave my ugly galvanized wheels as they are, functional if not beautiful.

Comment

I know some of my sons friends have used it on their car wheels and seem to like it. One thing I've seen is that it's easy to spray a little more on whenever it's scratched or peeling.

Personally, I'll leave my ugly galvanized wheels as they are, functional if not beautiful.
                Thought about galvanized too, and they are inexpensive comparatively speaking. My current trailers have alum but all previous were galv wheels like you have. Quick shot of galv spray paint and they look good as new!

My spare wheel is perfect so going to see if Eastern Marine can match and maybe get by with three. If not I'll try to reface one with something and see how it turns out.

Comment

I have aluminum and galv rims.
                  Galv for work and aluminum for pretty.
                  The Aluminum corrodes next to the lugs and hub.
                  I hose the trailer down each and every time.
                  Trailers are a P.I.T.A.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                    I have aluminum and galv rims.
                    Galv for work and aluminum for pretty.
                    The Aluminum corrodes next to the lugs and hub.
                    I hose the trailer down each and every time.
                    Trailers are a P.I.T.A.
                    My thoughts exactly - a necessary evil.

Most manufacturers clear coat the whole wheel so once you run a lug nut down tight it compromises the area where lug nut meets the wheel. That is the first area susceptible to corrosion. And even using a thin-walled socket by hand to install can cause boo boos in clear coat. Some use a stainless ring seat (sort of like a pressed in washer) that is inset in stud hole and lug nut will snug up to ring seat and prevent the rapid deterioration.

Then you have wheel mounting pad that butts directly to hub or floating rotor. Well soon as wheel is bolted down that area is toast and you'll see corrosion start around the area where a center cap would slide through. If you choose to balance assembly, use adhesive weights on inside of wheel. Hammering clip on weights will scratch too - even the coated ones.

It's really not an issue on most vehicle wheels unless your driving down the beach and through salt water. Trailer dunking is a whole other story, as we all know!

Comment

Try Aluthane from Progressive epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                      X