Trailer rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer rebuild

Not too sure if anyone is interested, but, I recently built a new trailer for my boat (cat) they are very easy trailer to build, because there is no V to worry about, because was using some of my old bits, I had to stick with steel, and the same sizes. The main frame is 4"X2" with 1/4 wall thickness, the draw bar and A frame is 4"X3". I just got it back from the galvanisers yesterday, it cost $7 per KG to get done, near twice the price pre Covid.......anyway, it's done now, total cost was $1,800 a couple of quick pictures before I start assembling it all again. I am using my old suspension and stuff.
    Attached Files

That’s nice!
    Did you do the cuts and welding yourself?

Comment

Yes, the steel I got cut at the steel supply place (well the straight cuts anyway) they will do 4 cuts per length for free, the angled cuts I did myself with a 5" grinder with a thin disc. The welds were done using a home handyman MIG, I am no expert, but have been welding for years, some look a bit rough, but it's just the zinc from galvanising that makes some "lumpy" I did all the welds downhand, it was hard work turning the frame over, but much easier for the home welder. I am currently cleaning out the threads, a couple of 1/2" ones are completely full. I have plastic skids for the cross beams, and a U shaped guide ring for the centre, that should be all assembled tomorrow (Saturday) I will take a couple of progress photos.

Comment

The MIG I have is very much a cheap home style, for what I do, I couldn't see the value in a high quality expensive machine. It plugs into a household power outlet, and will be fine for most size steel, I used a bit of 1/2" plate for strength/gussets in a few places and it was perfect. I am pretty sure a big machine would be better, but I might not use it again for months (or more)

Comment

Looks good, pls keep us apprised.
          So I suppose as long as your angles are square for a cat you’re good to go?
          I dig stuff like this!!
          2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
          Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Yeah, it's "home handyman" square, I am pretty confident doing stuff like that, the guide ring up the centre is adjustable, and the winch post, which is a double kind of thing being a cat, is also adjustable, so all in all, pretty simple work. I modified the end of the draw bar where the coupling goes, it was always difficult to get it off the ball, because of where I park, so, I cut the end at an angle, and welded a bit on the end to get clearance, I will take a close up to show what I mean.

Comment

• Tiretyme
              Tiretyme commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Look forward to this

Looks good!!!
            95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
            Seaford, De
            Curtis

Comment

Not much been done on the trailer, Christmas and stuff like that got in the way.....but I will be back into tomorrow, the frame is back on the suspension, springs removed and new bushes fitted and greased, overhauled the brakes while it was easy to get to (before the frame went back on), now I need to fit the coupling, fit the brake lines and bleed them, fit new lights and wiring, then final adjustment before the boat goes on.....I hope.

Comment

• Coastboater
                Coastboater commented
                Editing a comment
                Need more pics😀

• Tiretyme
                Tiretyme commented
                Editing a comment
                We’ll be standing by

Nearly a cat trailer again.....
              Attached Files

Comment

• noelm
                noelm commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, it's pretty good for a home job, only 1 minor mess up, I somehow didn't measure one part right, but it's perfectly fine, I just made an "inside" cut, instead of it being "outside" making the A frame where it meets the drawbar is right where one "leg" of the winch frame sits, it should be a bit shorter.

• Tiretyme
                Tiretyme commented
                Editing a comment
                I really like the curve for retrieving boat.
                You going to put some padding/carpet on that part?

• noelm
                noelm commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, there is plastic tube fits over it, some bind it with poly rope because it's slippery, looking back, I should have made it out of square tube and fitted plastic to it, but, tube is cheap and quick, you just split it and fold it over the pipe, a couple of zip ties here and there.

Good work. I like it.

The best thing I've ever heard regarding trailer repair and maintenance:

There are two ways to fix a boat trailer: buy a new one, or kill yourself.
              Barefoot Boats
              [email protected]
              (386)256-6977

Comment

Noeln, what is your boat? An Aussie built cat?

Would love to see pictures.
                Trailer looks good!
                Bob

S Central PA

Comment

• noelm
                  noelm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, it's an 18' centre console Sharkcat, the centre console version were not very common here, I will see if I have a picture, if not, I will take a couple later.

Looks great. I also like the curved guide.

Comment

Working...
                X