Replacing trailer hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re going to buy new hubs, check out the Vortec hubs from Tie Down. They’re a grease hub that is sealed.
    EZ Loader has a sealed hub, too, filled with oil. They have a translucent cover that you can quickly get the status of each hub with a quick glance. Not sure who actually makes them or if they’re exclusive to EZ Loader.

Comment

I've never seen anything which was truly effective for boat trailer bearings, especially salt water applications. Frequent repacking and thorough rinse immediately after each dunking helps.

Comment

Chris, what city do you reside?
        I forgot🤪🤪
        2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

One of the worst things about boat trailers bearing is the obvious (water) and the second has to do with it. The quenching effect of putting a "hot" hub into the water over time isn't really good to the grease. That cycle count of hot/cold over time is what really kills the grease being lubricious or not. It's always best to keep them fresh with a thorough inspection.
          Please watch my podcast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXM...fTJ38kA/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
            Chris, what city do you reside?
            I forgot🤪🤪
            Sent you a PM!

Comment

Waterland from Miami supplies many of the shops in Martin county.

Comment

Tim at Rapco is a good guy. They carry decent quality stuff and have a large inventory if you are not sure what you need, Armando is in the trailer parts section which is in the front on the left. They are not the cheapest but good and I like dealing with them.

Danny down at marine parts outlet has a decent selection.

Ever see one of these"? Click image for larger version

Name:	porsche.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	145045

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations for trailer stores.

No never seen one, what is it? Looks a bit like a Porsche?

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
                  Thanks for the recommendations for trailer stores.

No never seen one, what is it? Looks a bit like a Porsche?
                  I forget what the hell it is...........

Comment

Trying to pull numbers off this hub but can’t see much. Right now working on removing the grease cap but of coarse that is a challenge. It appears to be stamped 2302. Here are pics.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Billinfla
                      Billinfla
                      Senior Swabby
                      Billinfla commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gotta bull cap, take nut off, pullhub. Outer bearing pops right out. Inner sits inside grease retainer ring.

Hub looks good. It's galvanized. Keep it. If bearings look good keep them and repack them properly.

Thanks Bill. Finally a sliver of good news on this darn boat! I am having a hard time getting the cap off. Going to just try a big pair of channel locks and pulling. Tried to get a screwdriver in and pry it out but didn’t work.

I am considering bringing it to Rapco and have them do this. I’m a fish outta water but I also want to learn.

This used (31 year old) boat ownership stuff is for the birds! Can’t wait to enjoy the boat.

Comment

That may be a plastic watertight cap which gets replaced.

Replacement hub may not be galvanized. In any case a new one is packed with cheap grease.

"packing" involves cleaning the bearing thoroughly to remove old grease and actually filling the bearing rollers with grease. I like the red grease..expensive but worth it.

Comment

Thanks Bill. I’ll buy the red grease. I just need to take the hub apart then I can get in there (watch a few YouTube videos) and repack them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
                          Thanks Bill. I’ll buy the red grease. I just need to take the hub apart then I can get in there (watch a few YouTube videos) and repack them correctly.
                          You can buy a bearing packer cheap, but I use the palm of my hand and a blob of grease.Ya kinda cup yer hand and drag the roller part thru the cup in the palm forcing grease thru the bearing until it squeezes out the other side.

Comment

I was talking to my neighbor and we were able to get the cap off without damaging it and inside did not look terrible. Just old grease. I’m going to repack them as you suggested, Bill. I really appreciate your assistance!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X