Replacing trailer hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing trailer hubs

I’m going to replace my hubs…but my knowledge of this is very low. I’m trying to read articles and learn more so when down the line and have a problem on the road I can fix it.

I want to replace them bc the part that the lug nut screws onto is rusted and after my last time trailer I saw grease on the inside of the rim. No idea when the bearings were last greased. Figure it’s best to start with new stuff especially as it’s not that expensive.

This brings me to my question, what to look for when buying hubs. I see you got to measure what you have now to buy the right size. What brands are better than others? Anything else I need to know? It’s a single axle trailer with a 17’ boat.

Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving!!

Look on hub and see if there are any names and stamped part numbers—should be
    Call Eastern Marine to see if they stock or can cross reference part number
    That's where I’d start

Should be on backside of hub and may have to look hard for them
    2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
    Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

How old are they?

I'd grease them up.....put a covering of grease on the studs....and continue on.

Bearings will last a long time if maintained.......

What is the frequency of use?

​​​​​​

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
        Bstnsportsfan commented
        Editing a comment
        “If maintained”…no idea if they were.

No idea how old they are. They may be original with trailer? Frequency of use will eventually be each weekend with occasional trips to the keys, Naples etc. Figure winter is a good time to do this stuff.

Comment

Days gone by I would pull the hub and take it to a trailer store. Buy new bearings and seals there and they would press out the old stuff, clean up the hubs, pack the new bearings then press the new bearings and seals in. Clean up the spindles and reinstall the hubs.

Comment

Considering your intentions...... your on point 👍😉

Comment

Like TT said. You’ll have to locate numbers on the hub or remove one hub and take it with you to a local store so they can identify it Otherwise there are too many variables and you may end up buying the incorrect hubs. Eastern Marine is a good source!
            95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
            Seaford, De
            Curtis

Comment

Thank you. One of these weekends I’ll take the wheel off and have a look. Glad I asked here rather than run the risk of buying the wrong part number.

Comment

2 schools of thought on bearings:

Change bearings because the old ones are worn

Keep the old ones because you know they work and the new ones (chinese crap) may be defective

Comment

Originally posted by Coastboater View Post
                  Buy new bearings and seals there and they would press out the old stuff, clean up the hubs, pack the new bearings then press the new bearings and seals in. Clean up the spindles and reinstall the hubs.
                  This is exactly what I do. In fact, I'll be doing mine again very soon. Easy peasy.
                  Please watch my podcast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXM...fTJ38kA/videos

Comment

That there fella here with the Axopar with the V-6 Mercs has the pressurized hubs. Can’t recall the brand, but, you would know real quick if you had a bad seal. If I recall, they aren’t that expensive and are pressurized with a bicycle pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post
                      That there fella here with the Axopar with the V-6 Mercs has the pressurized hubs. Can’t recall the brand, but, you would know real quick if you had a bad seal. If I recall, they aren’t that expensive and are pressurized with a bicycle pump.
                      Myco Trailer with Air-Tight Hubs
                      Sanibel FL
                      Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post
                        While those are great for many reasons in a commercial environment, there is still maintenance required if the trailer isn't used. One of the worst things to do to any mechanical device is to not use it. Personally, for someone who does over 12k miles per year on my trailer I just disassemble, repack and assemble annually. The "magic" of the Air Tight are the seals and bonding. A taper roller bearing still wears and requires no water and proper amount of grease. Done correctly, a regular seal doesn't leak.

I'd much prefer to have my eyes on everything once per year as it really sucks to learn that something wasn't right when it's too late. Keeping on eye on these things really does give me a good feeling when I'm going to travel a couple of thousand miles in one trip.
                        Please watch my podcast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXM...fTJ38kA/videos

Comment

Originally posted by jtw18 View Post

One of the worst things to do to any mechanical device is to not use it. Personally, for someone who does over 12k miles per year on my trailer I just disassemble, repack and assemble annually.
                          I'd much prefer to have my eyes on everything once per year as it really sucks to learn that something wasn't right when it's too late. Keeping on eye on these things really does give me a good feeling when I'm going to travel a couple of thousand miles in one trip.
                          thats what I do.
                          Every year no matter what.

Comment

I know nothing of packing bearings or any of this stuff. My last trailer had bearing buddies and never caused a problem but that was a pic trailer and never traveled more than 10 miles from home.

I want to learn but my thought was to buy new hubs and I can know the maintenance and care of them from the get go and how to change those.

Comment

Working...
                            X