Bunks too far to center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunks too far to center?

Just got rollers replaced with bunks. Still seems like the boat sways on the trailer while towing. Would adding additional bunks as close to the wheel wells help this? Kinda pissed they just kept the bunks where the previous rollers were at and didn’t put them out further. Worried the boat is gonna tip off the trailer if I have to make a sudden sharp maneuver. Boat is a pro line 24 sport.

Seems to me that if the bunks were just outside of the current position would be optimal, but!
    Get a concensus from the more experienced on here.
    A little farther out seems it might stabilize better, IMHO!
    Best of luck

BWP

Comment

You can see marks where either the rollers were or the bunks IMO should be, outside of where they are now for sure.

Comment

Agree, looking at it it seems my only option is to get a bracket that bolts onto the frame and not the cross members. Can’t find anything online that will work. Everything seems to be specific for the cross member not for a frame mount.

Comment

Search online for pictures for an idea of what you think might work, worth a try!
          How about going to a trailer storage yard and look, or,
          Local boat ramp drive through trailer parking and steal ideas, not trailers.

You'll figure something out, I get all kinds of crazy ideas from just looking.

Just outside the strakes would work for proper distance and support.

BWP

Comment

The boat and trailer "sway" behind the tow vehicle or the boat "rocks" on the trailer?
            Ultimately it would be nice to have the bunks under the stringers. If they are to close inboard, then having the aft bunks under or near the lifting stakes is better.
            Edit:
            All the bunks appear to by single point mounting on the cross beam, one cross beam, that is not ideal. The bunks will rock fwd and aft, and side to side.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

---
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	132462

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	132463

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	132464
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I have a bunk trailer for my Dusky....do the bunks extend past the transom at least 6" ?

And yes further spaced on the chines..... current setup is exactly how not to do it.

Comment

Here’s a trailer I had made for a Grady that used aluminum bunks. These were positioned outside the strakes on the hull which helps center the boat when loading. You have to be careful when moving bunks outward that you lower the hull too much and scrape an axle/crossmember or hit the fenders. Search aluminum bunks for trailers and boat lifts to find these.

Name:	0C1EB3FB-6C31-446E-AB0B-CFA3D83EBB3B.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	132500

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                    bluewaterposer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Concur

• TomS
                    TomS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sweet trailer!

• Coastboater
                    Coastboater commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! Local company, Charleston Trailer, built it. The Grady sat a little high on it but loaded straight every time.

Rocks side to side no sway.

Comment

Working...
                  X