F70 on a 1997 16 ft Hewes Bayfisher PROP help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70 on a 1997 16 ft Hewes Bayfisher PROP help

The boat is 16 Ft Bayfisher with 24 trolling motor batteries in the seat on the front of the console and the gas tank is forward under the front deck. Trim Tabs work

I'm big 6 3 300lbs my son is 6 4 265 (plays football for the Citadel). My son will on occasion be with me but mostly by myself or my normal-sized Neighbor, I will have a Livewell full of water and shrimp some ice.
    One mod I am thinking of changes are batteries to lithium to save 80Lbs

I want to put a Yamaha F70 on it and I am unconcerned about fast just a good hole shot and mid-range and top-end that stays in the RPM limits. I was thinking 4 blade

Any Suggestions and doing a bigger 4 stroke is not going to happen I am not a speed demon anymore so 30MPH or better is all I need/want
    Thanks
    Curt

What motor and propeller combination is on the boat now? How did it perform? What is the weight of the boat?
    2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

the motor on it now is an 80 yam 2 stroke no idea how it handles I am replacing it with a F70 Weight is 900Ish as I can see but who knows. Im sure teh guys at Prop Gods have propped a F70 for a mid 90s Hewes Bayfisher mine is a 1997 Lappy Bayfisher

Comment

Yeah I’m sure ken will chime in soon.
        2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

OH Ken? Help for a pauper..in my tiny Tim voice

Comment

Really wish someone with A F70 would chime in and help me on this

Comment

I think Ken is on Christmas vacation.

Comment

Sorry, didn't notice this one in the performance reports forum.
                The SCD3 is the prop I normally like on this style boat with the F70.
                Bascially a stainless prop with a similar blade style to a Yamaha aluminum. (semicleaver)
                Easy to turn, which helps with holeshot on a motor that doesn't have a huge amount of torq.

Pitch will depend on speed. and speed depends on load.
                A 15 pitch SCD3 would give strong acceleration and run out of RPM in the mid 30's.
                That would be what I'd suggest first.
                if you load light, and wanted top end, (which it doesnt sound like you do) then I'd say 16, but given your description of what you want, I'd go 15.
                if you get one from me and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.
                they are backordered right now, expect about 4 weeks before the prop ships (hopefully they get caught up by spring)

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Ken I noticed you didn't give a 4 blade recommendation, why not?

Comment

I normally like the 3 blade better on that motor, cause sometimes a 4 blade just bogs it down.

but if we are already going pretty low on pitch anyways, you may like it.
                    Do you have a jackplate?
                    The SCD4 is a good prop as well, still pretty easy to turn compared to the other 4 blades.
                    I'd still go 15 pitch.

Ken Reeves
                    [email protected]
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                    X