20 Foot Boston Whaler Outrage PROP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Foot Boston Whaler Outrage PROP Question

I just bought a 20 foot 1997 Boston Whaler Outrage with T-Top and a 2017 F200 Yamaha.
    It came with a beat up 3 blade aluminum 14x17 prop.
    I tube a lot with the kids so I prefer a 4 blade prop, but am open to suggestions.
    I put a 14.5x17 aluminum Turning Point Hustler on it.
    Good acceleration, not great.
    Good cornering
    Top Speed, I think is off and RPM too low.
    Just me on boat, trimmed up as high as it will go before it will porpoise, MAX RPM 5200 to 5300, Top Speed 41 to 43MPH
    The engine has 70 hours and has been gone through by a Yamaha Dealer.
    I have not weighed the boat to see if it is wet, but I pulled all the deck hatches and everything looks good.
    I dont know what the right prop is to get it to WOT and should I invest in trim tabs?
    Thank You,
    Paul

Just need less pitch.
    That motor has a 1.86 gear ratio, your at 11% slip, which is not bad at all.
    If they let you return that prop and get a 15 of the same brand/model, you would accelerate stronger, turn 6000 RPM to go the same speed.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

• whaler02790
      whaler02790 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you recommend a 3 blade instead of a 4 blade? I use aluminum because the Westport River is a bit tricky, but could do SS if you feel there is a benfit.

Do you recommend a 3 blade instead of a 4 blade? I use aluminum because the Westport River is a bit tricky, but could do SS if you feel there is a benfit.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Comment

If the prop is not ventilating bad, and handles well, I'd just run the same style in a 15.
      Don't always have to go stainless. your numbers are good, just need a little less pitch.

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
      X