Prop for Pursuit 2470 CC with 250 optimax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop for Pursuit 2470 CC with 250 optimax

I have a 1997 Pursuit 2470 center console with a 2009 250hp optimax. Last year I noticed some unrepairable damage on my prop which was mirage plus15 3/4 x 15p. Due to a combination of availability and financial reasons I could not get the same prop in a timely fashion. I ended up putting on a mirage plus 15 1/2 x 17p. The result was a loss in wot of about 200 rpm, was 5600 now 5400 and a decrease in top speed was 40 mph now 37 mph. At 4000 rpm a decrease in speed from 30 mph to 27 mph. My goal is to maximize speed around 4000 rpm. Before I switch back to the 15 3/4 x 15p, are there any other props I should try, maybe a four blade? Thanks in advance for any advice - Chris

Out of curiosity, did you buy a used 17? I'm asking, because your results are very odd.

We would have expected about a 500 RPM drop coming from 15 to 17. at Any speed.
    So at 30 MPH, you should be turning 500 RPM less with the 17 then you did with the 15.
    Your 17 is just slipping a lot for some reason.
    We would have expected the slip to be the same, or very close.

Wide Open
    Mirage Plus 15, 5600 RPM 40 MPH, 12% slip (good)
    Mirage Plus 17, 5400 RPM, 37 MPH, 26%slip (very bad)

Cruise
    Mirage Plus 15, 4000 RPM 30 MPH, 8% slip (almost unbelievably good)
    Mirage Plus 17, 4000 RPM, 27 MPH, 27% slip, (very bad)

i'd get a quicksilver thunderbolt 15 3/4 x 15. Same exact prop as a mirage Plus.
    Or get a mirage Plus, same either way, I sell both.
    Thunderbolt is about $80 cheaper.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

It was a new 17 pitch, the old 15 pitch had been reconditioned once before not sure if that would affect much. Would a four blade prop be of any advantage?

Comment

The 17 also has the solid vent plugs in, would changing them be of any advantage?

Comment

opening the vent holes would only make it slip worse.
          I'd get a stock 15 Thunderbolt.
          the 15 pitch 4 blades can be hit or miss. the Thunderbolt 15 normally runs very well.

No new transducers or anything on the bottom of the hull right?

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

Nothing new on the bottom of hull, added a transom mount transducer to the starboard side, keeping the one that was mounted on port side

Comment

as long as its way over on the starboard side, and not inline with the prop, you should be ok then.

Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

Comment

Ken thank you for all of your advice, I think what I am going to do is put the old 15 back on, it’s not severely damaged just has some small hairline cracks forming on the blades. Go for a quick sea trial to see if my results are still the same, try to rule out any engine performance issues, these optimax’s are extremely sensitive. Assuming my performance returns with the prop switch I will call to order a new thunderbolt.

Comment

let us know what happens.

Ken Reeves
                  [email protected]
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                  X