Determining Height On Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining Height On Plane

How would one go about getting an accurate height of their boat while on plane, or does it very that greatly from static height in the water. Boat for reference is a 1999 Cape Horn 21 with T-Top and a Yamaha F-250.

there is a train bridge I cross under to exit the bay, I clear by a good 4-5 feet at static height and idle speed, the bridge is not a no wake zone and I’ve seen boats equal to and larger than I cruise underneath it on plane but boy does it make me pucker. I’m not looking to fly WOT under the bridge but it would make me feel better knowing at 2,200rpms popped up I still have (X) feet above me at high tide.

Originally posted by Dwsmithhvac View Post
    How would one go about getting an accurate height of their boat while on plane, or does it very that greatly from static height in the water. Boat for reference is a 1999 Cape Horn 21 with T-Top and a Yamaha F-250.

there is a train bridge I cross under to exit the bay, I clear by a good 4-5 feet at static height and idle speed, the bridge is not a no wake zone and I’ve seen boats equal to and larger than I cruise underneath it on plane but boy does it make me pucker. I’m not looking to fly WOT under the bridge but it would make me feel better knowing at 2,200rpms popped up I still have (X) feet above me at high tide.
    You are positive about that? 100%?
    I would think anywhere from a foot to 2' subtracted from that when on plane, two (2') to be safe, not counting for tide's.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Dwsmithhvac View Post

the bridge is not a no wake zone and I’ve seen boats equal to and larger than I cruise underneath it on plane but boy does it make me pucker. I’m not looking to fly WOT under the bridge but it would make me feel better knowing at 2,200rpms popped up I still have (X) feet above me at high tide.
      Are you sure about that? Where I am any bridge you pass under is no wake and doesn't need to be posted. Do you say this because there's no signs posted? I'm not talking about big suspension bridges.
      I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
      Amesbury, MA (work in Boston)
      1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
      How can I help you?

Comment

Drop the hammer and let it eat. YOLO!
        2003 Proline 23 sport
        1999 legacy Sea Era 230
        2005 Bayliner 175 (sold)

Comment

Get up on plane, see where your waterline is compared to the actual position of water against the hull, draw a line @ 6 degrees forward to the bow, boats run bow high usually about 5-8 degrees. Now measure up from that line and see what you need to clear.

IMO, If you can go under that bridge at slow speed while standing, you can make it under that bridge sitting down while on plane. Just make sure any antennas or Bimini tops are down. Once you make it under while on plane, stand in a crouched position making passes with you standing progressively higher. When your hair gets parted you've reached MAX potential.

Comment

Working...
          X