Another Prop Advice Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Prop Advice Newbie

Hi, new (to me ) Seaswirl Striper boat owner here, and I'm enjoying reading your forums here
    . I bought a '03 1851 WA cuddy cabin while up at Lake Tahoe, where it ran great with a 'Pleasure 3' 15 pitch SS prop. It came with an extra 14 1/4 x 19 Aluminum prop that I assumed was for lower altitude, like here at sea level in the Monterey Bay.
    Because of the bumpy 3 foot swell, I was not able to open it up full speed to 4200-4600 Max RPM; but only to 20 mph at 3000 RPM.
    Before investing in a new prop, is my current one in the ball park? Hopefully, that is enough information, because that is all I have.
    Last edited by otteray; 05-31-2020, 05:16 PM. Reason: Added info

Welcome and I am sure Ken will be along shortly..
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I went ahead and put the 15 pitch prop back on. I'll see what happens, if the swell ever goes away here. Praying for a glassy day!

Comment

Sorry, been slammed on the phone and didn't get to the forum for a few days.
        Looks like a Volvo drive.
        There will be a plate on the side of that drive riveted on. it will have the gear ratio on it.
        Also, what motor do you have?
        With that, we can figure out how your 15 pitch prop is doing.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for responding, ken2.
          It is a 2003 Volvo Penta 4.3GL, SX outdrive, 1.66 gear ratio. Trim tabs
          I'm also wondering if that retractable trolling plate could be an issue.
          We are having a persistent mixed 3'-4' swell for the past week , so I'm waiting for it to settle down, as it usually does this time of year, with a long flat spell, so we can give it a try.
          Last edited by otteray; 06-03-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

a 19 pitch turning 3000 RPM at 20 is not good, but in those conditions it will obviously be hard to tell.
            I'd run the 15 for a while, see how it goes, and hopefully the conditions smooth down for you eventually

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks I'll report back hopefully next week.

Comment

The 15 p prop felt like it was slipping. I ended up getting a 17p aluminum Hustler, and find it is performing great, far better than the other two props.

Comment

What are the RPM and GPS speed numbers with the 17 pitch?

Ken Reeves
                  [email protected]
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
                    What are the RPM and GPS speed numbers with the 17 pitch?
                    I'm still in the ocean with 2 to 3 seas and chop; so kind of hard to get past 20 mph @3000 or get on plane for more than a moment. Caught two halibut today, though!

Comment

Working...
                    X