Prop Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Advice

My first post guys, so please bear with me if I missed something.
    I have a new to me '06 Clearwater 2100 cc wi that was repowered with a Yamaha F175a. After break in, I have not been able to get the rpm above 5500. I've tried every position on the mounting holes and it's currently on the last hole (highest mounting position from water). The engine came with a Reliance series 14 1/4" dia x 17 pitch prop. I can get on plane fairly easily and at 5500 I'm running about 40 mph as measured by GPS. In it's current position, I'm getting a lot of blowout in rough water or making turns so I most likely need to move the engine down some but I still will be at 5500 rpm max. Am I over propped for this? Any recommendations?

Calling Ken from PropGods ... and he will respond here soon ...

But what is the max RPM band recommended for that motor? Is it truly a 5,000 to 6,000 RPM motor? If so, you have a prop pitch issue and not motor height issue. I'd want to be no more than 200 RPMs off max in the Spring, on a clear running bottom, with me alone, all standard gear carried and 1/2 fuel.

Boats only get heavier as the season goes on ... and the last thing you want to do is lug that or any motor. Most boats need to 'trim in' some to take a turn or more than a simple course adjustment.

Comment

Yes, it is a 5,000 -6,000 range but I'm a little concerned that it's not running in the upper range of that. Especially with only 20 gals of fuel, two people and no fishing gear or other heavy items onboard.

Comment

Are you trimming the motor up much to get to 40 MPH? what happens if you trim higher?

I would have expected a little better speed out of that boat.
        But if 40 is what its running, you'll be happier with a 14, maybe a 15 pitch prop.
        Id suggest a powertech PTZ3 in 14 pitch to start. see what the RPM does, and go from there.
        I sell that one for 329

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

I cant trim up too much because of the motor height but trimming a little gets me to the 5500 and 40 mph. I also see 4000 rpm and 27.5 mph and 4500 rpm with 32.5 mph at about the same amount of trim. I also expected a bit more top end speed out of this but my main concern was over burdening the engine by only being able to run in the middle of the rpm range - and that's at WOT. I'm new to this but cant imagine at lower rpm's the engine is less strained.
          Thanks for the advice - how can I get my hands on the prop you recommend?

Comment

I'd try a 15 pitch and see what happens. https://propgods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fscd4

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
            X