Propeller Search, new motors to old boat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Search, new motors to old boat.

First off. Thanks for admitting me to the forum! I was sent here via the Facebook Page "Classic Twin Vee Owners". I have 2005 22' Twin Vee. I need to buy new propellers for two new motors which will be Mercury 115 hp Command Thrust motors, one of which will be counter-rotating. The Command Thrust model changes the lower unit to equivalent V6 150 hp drive (larger diameter props up to 16"). Who do I go to for getting the best match propellers for this setup? I am looking for efficiency over speed.

What were your old motors? what GPS speed did you get at wide open with the old motors with the boat loaded up like you actually run?
    I understand you don't care about top end, but top end is what determines what pitch we will need to get your RPM right.
    Speed on these boats varies a lot depending on if you have a Ttop, tower, load heavy, vs light, and how you personally run the boat most of the time.
    I assume this is a 22 Awesome ?

Most guys are around 40 MPH at top end with that setup, but ttops and Towers slow it down a bit. super light loads you might go faster.
    With Mercury props, the Enertia's would be their best choice.
    You have a 2.38 gear ratio, 19 pitch would be about right if we are expecting around 40 MPH.
    those are $679 each, and I do have them available for testing if you like.
    A less expensive option would be the Powertech PTZ3's they cost $329 each from me, hub included. Also a good all around 3 blade, and hard to beat for that price.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

• Danielva75
      Danielva75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Ken,
      I was hoping you would pipe in, thanks! Yes, it is a center console, Awesome with a 9' T-top. The old motors (still current) are 2005 115 hp, 4-stroke. WOT, 1/2 to 3/4 full tanks, I think they will hold approx. 70 gals. total. Max is about 34-35 mph, max rpm 5,000. The existing props are 13.25 X 17. I typically cruise at 4000 rpm and about 27 mph with 1/2 full tanks. I think the boat is a little heavy on the Starboard side. I like the price point of the PTZ3. The PTZ3's what diameter?

... and here I am, late to the party ... was going to recommended Ken @ PropGods ...

Comment

• Danielva75
      Danielva75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

So with the Ttop, and your running mid 30's,I'd suggest the 17 pitch with Enertia's, or PTZ3's

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

• Danielva75
      Danielva75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that with a 14.25 diameter? What would a 15.25 do to or for me?

I have not heard back from you, Ken. The lower units of these motors allow for larger diameter Propellers. What would the difference be going from I have now which is a 13.25 to a 14.25 to a 15.25 or somewhere around there size affect the boat in my circumstance? I am guessing the horsepower to turn them is a factor. You suggested the 17 pitch but didn't say which diameter? I will hopefully be ordering the new motors early next week and I am trying to figure out the props for this boat.

Comment

Sorry, for the delay.
      The Enertia propellers are 14.5 diameter by 17 pitch.
      The PTZ props are 14 1/4 diameter.
      Both of these will fit that gearase, Going larger diameter is not really needed, you can physically fit 16 inch diameter props on there, but it will just be more drag, and more likely for the motor to chatter at idle speeds.

The Mirage Plus would be your larger diameter option, 15 1/2 x 17, I dont' think you would improve anything with the larger diameter.

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

Comment

• Danielva75
        Danielva75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Ken, for getting back to me. Since our last discussion. I have decided not to get the Command Thrust motors. I am going to get the stock new 115 hp motors. The only reason I was going with CT motors was to get counter-rotation. Now if use my current props. I still have the same problem with low RPM's. To get the RPM's up, should I go to a lower pitch from a 17 to a 14 or 15?

I'd go Powertech PTR3 15 pitch on the new ones. or the old ones. either way.

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

Comment

• Danielva75
        Danielva75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I will get the new motors rigged up and come back to you for the new props. I have them scheduled for the end of May.
    Working...
    X