Mercury 300 V8 Four Stroke Prop Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury 300 V8 Four Stroke Prop Option

Started my repower and was looking for some advice on prop size for a 1997 Pro-Line 251 with a new Mercury 300 HP 4 Stroke hanging on a bracket. I went to the Mercury Marine website and they have a prop size calculator and it figured out from my input that a Mirage + 15.75 x 15 degree is what I need. Does that sound right for best overall performance?

I'm not looking to be the fastest 251 on the water. According to specs the boat weighs 4800 lb. dry and has 170 gal. fuel tank that I usually run with at least 100 gal. of fuel plus about 1000lb. of gear, ice and people. The 225 Johnson that was on it used to push it to about 35 mph. WOT. Most of the time I ran it at 4600-4800 rpms. with 28-30 mph and about 18 gph.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm green as can be when it comes to propping a boat.

Last edited by jmike; 02-25-2020, 01:44 PM.

I would expect the boat to run 43-45 MPH with a 300 HP motor. Loaded the way you run.
    Have done a few in the past with single 225's that got about 39 MPH, and with single 300, and twin 150's, they topped out around 45.

I would agree on the Mirage Plus 15 pitch. Or the Quicksilver Thunderbolt 15 pitch (same prop)
    If it hooks up like it should, you'd get about 45 MPH at 6000 RPM and have good strong acceleration.
    Another option, if you load heavy and want to stay on plane at a little slower speed would be the Powertech OFS4. great option for it.
    I have the Mirage Plus available to test, or if you buy one and decide you want to swap out for a different pitch or style, its $35 plus shipping to swap out.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thank you Ken for your help. The shop that's doing the re power actually has a nice used Mirage Plus 15 1/2 x 15 degree that we will test with and I can purchase. I don't know how much a 1/4" less diameter will affect performance, but I can start with that and see how it goes. But to stay on plane at lower speed, the Powertech I will definitely keep in mind.

Comment

its either a 15 3/4 x 15 or 15 1/2 x 17. That is the only size the Mirage Plus comes in.
        If its a 17 pitch that was "repitched" to 15, I'd probably pass on that one. but obviously if you can go test it, I would absolutely give it a shot.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

IT has been "repitched" and I was thinking the same thing. After spending a lot of money on a motor make's no sense to cheap out on the prop. Can you please PM me with price's on the props you mentioned, thanks.

Comment

Shoot me an email [email protected]

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
            X