Prop options, need more bite in surf launch situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop options, need more bite in surf launch situation.

Hi Guys. I fish off the east coast of South Africa. Boat is a 17ft center console mono hull with a single 2018 Suzuki DF100b (Suzuki 100hp model for Europe, Austrailia, SA market. Same motor as DF90a in US.).
    I'm currently running suzuki aluminium 3x13.75x17" prop. RPM's are good, can get to 6300 trimmed up at 39mph and holeshot is okay.
    Here in SA we launch through the surf and often have to circle in the surf zone waiting for gaps. This is where cavitation / ventilation is a problem.
    During tight turns and holeshot in foamy surf zone I struggle to get bite. I have to work the throttle to get the prop to bite. Gets a bit scary when the surf is bearing down on you.
    Prop testing and options are limited here, so hoping i can get some guidance from the experts? What prop will offer more grip in this situation? Stainless? 4 or 3 blade?
    Its bit of a mine field if you cant test them? Solas and Powertech all have lots of options.
    Thanks in advance.

I am no expert whatsoever, but I'm thinking a 4 blade is better for this than 3 blades. Someone will be along with more solid advice. What part of SA are you from?

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
      I am no expert whatsoever, but I'm thinking a 4 blade is better for this than 3 blades. Someone will be along with more solid advice. What part of SA are you from?
      Thanks.....I'm from Durban, KwaZulu Natal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorado Tom View Post

Thanks.....I'm from Durban, KwaZulu Natal.
        I lifetime ago I spent a short stint I SA, It was your winter so we were fogged in at Cape Town. We had an enjoyable stay up north in Pretoria and Joburg.

Be safe, both on the water and on land, some scary stuff taking place I hear.

Comment

Yea, tough for a prop to get a bite with aerated water. A couple of things may help. Higher rake, cupping and Permatrims. Higher rake helps keep the thrust pattern narrow. Cupping helps prop hold the water on the blade. Permatrims help to contain the water above the prop.

Comment

The Powertech PFO4 is a 4 blade with really heavy cupping. Made for really high engine heights. 14 inch diameter and a LOT of grip.
            I'd say stick with 17 pitch given your RPM and speed currently. if you want to play it safe, we could go 16 pitch, as you will probably give up some speed going to a super aggressive 4 blade like this.
            they cost $375 from me. Shipping to South Africa Priority mail is $175

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
              The Powertech PFO4 is a 4 blade with really heavy cupping. Made for really high engine heights. 14 inch diameter and a LOT of grip.
              I'd say stick with 17 pitch given your RPM and speed currently. if you want to play it safe, we could go 16 pitch, as you will probably give up some speed going to a super aggressive 4 blade like this.
              they cost $375 from me. Shipping to South Africa Priority mail is $175
              Many thanks Ken.
              In your experience with this prop, what drop in rpm and top speed can I expect going from my ali 17" to this PFO 4 blade? I'd like to keep my rpm's up (be able to see 6200-6300) as out at sea we don't often run trimmed out and we are often loaded which bring that down) WOT rating for my motor is 5700-6300.

Comment

It varies on each setup.
                Your slip ratio is currently "Zero" which is kinda normal for Suzuki props, but it means your 17 pitch prop is acting more like an 18 or 19.
                The PFO4 is not a prop I use very often, as it is really aggressive and overkill on most applications.
                but for what your describing, should work well.
                16 would be a safe bet to keep your RPM up I thin.

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
                  It varies on each setup.
                  Your slip ratio is currently "Zero" which is kinda normal for Suzuki props, but it means your 17 pitch prop is acting more like an 18 or 19.
                  The PFO4 is not a prop I use very often, as it is really aggressive and overkill on most applications.
                  but for what your describing, should work well.
                  16 would be a safe bet to keep your RPM up I thin.
                  Many thanks Ken.
                  I have tracked down a 16" pitch NRS4 here in SA. Once i get to try it I will posted my results. If I am still struggling I will contact you directly and possibly bring one in from you.

Comment

Sounds great, let us know how it goes !

Ken Reeves
                    [email protected]
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                    X