Prop recommendations 2005 scout 21 ft sportfish with honda 150 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop recommendations 2005 scout 21 ft sportfish with honda 150 4 stroke

Looking for some advice on a getting a 4 blade prop for my boat. Ive got a 2005 scout 21 sportfish with a honda 150 4 stroke. The boat loaded down, with a few people has a hard time getting up on plane. I do a little bit of everything, offshore fishing, diving, tubing, etc.. etc.. any suggestions on which props work best with my motor?

What prop is on there currently?
    What RPM and GPS speed do you get at wide open trimmed up, (loaded up like you really run it)
    When you are loaded up and you say holeshot is slow, what is the RPM doing? is the motor revving up easily 4000 +, but the boat takes a long time go get going? or is the motor bogged down and only turning 2000 RPM while slowly gaining speed?

I ask because depending on what the motor is doing, a 4 blade may actually make things worse.
    4 blades are not always better on holeshot.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me ken. You helped my father out with his 4 bladed prop he got from you. Im going to take the boat out Saturday and get all the actual readings you requested. For the most part the boat runs fantastic except when i have a lot of weight on board. 4 or 5 people, live well filled, full tank,and 2 huge coolers filled it just has a hard time getting up on plane. And i have trim tabs. I will get all the info for u this weekend. Thanks again

Comment

Sounds like a plan.
        I also really like the Quicksilver Q3, same prop as the Mercury Enertia.
        Its just a great running prop, and often gives great holeshot, as well as top end on that style boat with the 4 cylinder 4 stroke motors.
        But we'll see what your numbers are first.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Took the boat out saturday. The prop i have on the boat is a honda by powertech, 3 x 15.25 x 17 SS R. The boat revs up to 3900 4000 rpms easily but takes a little bit to get going. WOT 5800rpms at 42 mph. Loaded down it has a hard time getting up on plane. Literally sitting at 3900 rpm creaping, slowly gaining speed. Once its up on plane the boat rides perfect. I dont care about top end speed. I just want to be able to get up on plane quick and a good mid range handling. Any suggestions would be great

Comment

Well, I'd either have a little cup added to that 17 pitch you have.
            Or go with a Powertech SFS4 in 17 pitch.
            its a 14 1/2 diameter 4 blade that should give good sternlift and much better traction out of the hole.

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Somebody mentioned having the prop vented. Is that something you would recommend? What is adding cup

Comment

venting a prop is drilling holes in the side of it, so exhaust gas blows over the blades during holeshot. basically your purposely ventilating the prop to let it rev up quicker.
                In your situation, your motor is already revving up to easily, so venting it would just make things worse, you need more traction.

Adding cup is when they curl up the trailing edge of the blade a little bit. Most props have a little cup right out of the box, but if it needs traction, a little more cup can make a surprising difference.
                Normally cost 75-100 bucks per prop to have a prop shop do that for you.

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Should i try adding cup first? Will adding cup ruin the propeller if it doesn't work. Can adding cup be uninstalled? Or should i just get the new prop you suggested sfs4 14.5 dia 17 pitch

Comment

If you wanted to have some cup added to that prop, I suggest LeadingEdgePropeller.com
                    Rich Junker is LeadingEdgePropeller, he does great work. turnaround time is slow, but the work is great.
                    probably cost less then 100 bucks to have it cupped, he can undo it if needed, but I think you'd like the results.

If you get it done and don't like it, your out 100 bucks and still need a new prop.
                    You could try the SFS4 in 17 pitch, would probably run well, cost $409.
                    35 to return it, or swap out if you don't like it.
                    just depends on if your in a hurry or not.

Ken Reeves
                    [email protected]
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                    X