Suzuki 90 prop choice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 90 prop choice.

So I just bought a 2016 17’ Caravelle with a Suzuki 90. It had 3x14x19 aluminum prop. The boat had a poor hole shot and ventilated easily in turns. Max RPM was about 5600 and I got 35ish (I don’t know if I was going with or against the current). 10% slip. I swapped the prop out for a spitfire aluminum 17. Now I get a great hole shot 6100 rpm at 39 with the current so I would say I was going 37. 2% slip seems pretty good and the RPM is where I want it. This prop still blows out in turns trim all the way down. Not as bad as the 3 blade. The motor is already on the bottom hole.

So for the next prop do I get a x7 spitfire 17, Suzuki stainless 3x14x17 or whatever prop Ken suggest I get for the application? I would like to stay close the the max RPM of 6300 for performance.

I’ve always loved mercury props. I’ve read a lot of post that these Suzuki’s like 14” diameter props. So it’s time to ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

Is there anything at all inline with the prop on the hull. like an underwater light, a transducer, a livewell pickup of some sort?

The stainless spitfire is a good one, normally has great traction. expensive though.
    Powertech has quite a few options as well. I like their RXB4, also gets super low slip numbers and has great traction. cost $375 from me.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken. There is nothing inline with the prop. The transducer about 2’ off center.

The cavitation plate is about 1” above the bottom of the transom when I put a strait edge on it. I think I can fix the cavitation problem by adjusting the lower trim limit switch to let the motor trim down more. I’m not sure if I can do that or the dealer has to.

My my worries about going to the 17 x7 spitfire is I will lose rpm vs the aluminum spitfire. Also the price steep.

Price is is why I wanted a 17” Suzuki stainless. Also heard they perform very well on the Zuke. I see powertech makes a LNR3 Suzuki prop replacement as well. If you think the RBX4 will deliver better performance it might be what I get. What pitch would you recommend? Also what is the restocking fee to swap it out if it’s not what I need?

Thanks

Comment

well, your at 2% slip from your numbers.
        You can't get much lower then that, so I can't see a different 17 pitch dropping your RPM much at all.
        Unless that current was a little faster then you think.

Restocking fee is 35 bucks.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

I think that number is a little fast. I was running with a strong current that day.

I’ll do a few more trips then pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
          X