Proline 29 SS Cavitation issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proline 29 SS Cavitation issues

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Pro-Line 29 S.S. with 2008 Verados 250 Xxl Cxxl.
    The current owner stated he had an an issue with the port motor cavitating when running into a head sea with the original 3 blade props so he did some experiments with revolution 4 blade props and settled on 23 pitch.
    During the sea trial ,I brought the boat to plane and trimmed the boat as we ran thru the jetties and as soon as I did the port motor sensed the slippage and went into guardian mode. I noticed when he ran the boat he only gave it just a bump of trim but he only ran it in slick water. I ran the boat out into the gulf trimmed down and was satisfied with the ride and returned to the channel which was basically slick rollers and added more trim,It again cavitated and went into guardian mode.
    back on the trailer I was looking at the height these motors were mounted. This boat have a fiberglass factory bracket . I noticed the cavitation plates on the engines were 2-3” above the true transom of the boat. Is this normal on bracketed boats/motors. These are the original motors.
    Can someone give me some insight?

Thanks Shawn

23 pitch is a lot of pitch for 250 Verado's.
    What is your GPS speed at wide open?
    is there a water pickup, or transducer, or anything at all on the bottom of the boat or transom inline with that port motor?
    What specific props are they?

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Ken they are rev 4 props. Gps speed at WOT is 57 kts. I don’t know rpm at that speed. The seller called me tonight and said it’s been bugging him since the sea trial cause it hasn’t been an issue . We pulled the starboard prop at the end of the sea trial but not the port. Seller said he he pulled the port prop today and found the port insert was cone shaped and had signs of spinning so he replaced the insert and took the boat and ran it . Said it ran fine but the seas state is slick right now in the western Gulf of Mexico. I wished he had called me when he went to Run it again. I will get the specifics on the props tomorrow and post it for you.

Comment

Any updates on how it ran?

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Ken the boat was delivered to me today, I am going to put new hubs in both props. The rev 4 are 23 pitch but I need to verify the wot rpms this weekend. With that information you may be able to form an educated opinion. Thanks Shawn

Comment

Ken I sent you a PM

Comment

Ken I have run the boat. With a full fuel tank 191 gallons, and 5 people it will only turn 4800 rpms at 63mph. I believe the rev 4 23 pitch is about two pitch’s too large. I think I need to try a 21 pitch .

Comment

In your PM you said you ran 53 MPH, but here is says 63.
                Since its mathematically impossible to hit 63 MPH at 4800 RPM with 23 pitch props, I'm going to say that was a typo.

I'd suggest Quicksilver Q4 19 pitch.
                it should accelerate much stronger.
                top speed will be about the same, you may even pick up a mph or two.

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                X