Grady 270 Islander should I switch to 4 blade props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grady 270 Islander should I switch to 4 blade props?

My boat is approx 8000 lbs when loaded. I am not interested in top end at all. I'm looking for a better mid range performance, better fuel economy and staying on plane at a lower speed. I normally cruise about 3800-4100 rpms and about 25-30 mph getting about 1.5 mpg. Currently have 14.25" X 19 stainless props on my twin Yamaha 225 4 strokes. I top out at 5300-5400 rpm and about 45 mph. I do all my boating in the Atlantic and sounds and rivers and do offshore trolling. Most times the ocean will only allow for 20-30 mph rarely much faster. The bottom is painted and the boat is kept on a lift in Morehead City North Carolina. I am wondering would switching to a 4 blade prop and drop pitch to 17 would give me better results?
    Last edited by collector21; 08-01-2019, 12:15 PM.

Going to 17 pitch 4 blades would give stronger throttle response and make the boat feel more powerful. Mainly just because you'd be going down in pitch and get your RPM up closer to 6000.
    Top speed would still be about the same.
    You could stay on plane at slower speeds. which is nice when its rough.
    You might get a little better economy at slower cruise speeds, might be a little worse at faster cruise speeds, just depends.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
      Going to 17 pitch 4 blades would give stronger throttle response and make the boat feel more powerful. Mainly just because you'd be going down in pitch and get your RPM up closer to 6000.
      Top speed would still be about the same.
      You could stay on plane at slower speeds. which is nice when its rough.
      You might get a little better economy at slower cruise speeds, might be a little worse at faster cruise speeds, just depends.
      Hi Ken and thanks for the response,
      Do you have any recomendations for a 4 blade prop? Should I drop the pitch with the 4 blade or stick with the 3 blade? Top speed is not a concern at all for me as mid-range cruising, able to stay on plane at slower speeds and trolling are the main uses. Hardly never if ever go WOT.

Comment

If the main goal is staying on plane at slower speeds, the Powertech OFS4's would be my first choice. 15 1/4 x 17
        I sell them for $499 each

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
        X