Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props for Verado 300 switch from L6 to V8

Hi Ken,

Got advice from 3 years ago when I set up my 04 Jupiter 31FS with Merc Verado 300’s. Your advice was Rev4 20”. And you were pretty close - the boat typically runs very heavy on fuel (not many pumps here in Fiji) and I carry a lot of heavy rode. Probably should have switched to 19’s. But the’s no one like you here (or I suspect, anywhere) so it’s a “run what ya brung” situation.

Now my question is, I have new V8 Verado’s arriving in the next few months and the dealer is now asking what props I want. After doing a lot of reading up, I’m thinking maybe the 19” Enertia Eco’s might be worth a try. Your thoughts please.
    Jupiter 31FS / Verado 300s in Fiji - V8's on order
    Haines 2100SO / Verado 300 Pro in NZ

do you have the 1.85 or 1.75 gearcase on your old Verado's ?
    loaded up like you actually run, what RPM and GPS speed do you get at wide open?

Basically, I expect the same speed at wide open. and the same slip ratio for the Revolution 4's your running.
    ECO's would be interesting to try, they will probably be a little lower slip ratio, but speed will be about the same.

Also, need to know which gear ratio the new 300's are going to be.

The new V8's have a 5200-5800 RPM range, so if you were a little over propped with the old motors, you may be about right with the new ones. just depends on which gear ratio's.

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

The I6 Verado's are 1.85 boxes, and I believe the V8's are also. I top out at 50mph @ 5600.

Comment

20 pitch, 1.85 gear, 5600 RPM at 50 MPH is 13% slip

The V8 300's "should" get the same numbers if you get the 1.85 gear ratio's. Maybe they gain a little speed/rpm, just depends how strong they really are compared to the I6.
        But if your getting the 1.75 gear ratio's, we'll need a lower pitch to get the RPM up.

I hope your getting the 1.85 ratio's, that will be a great comparison test.
        However, your a little over propped with the 20's on your I6 motors, so would be better to compare 19's on the I6's vs 20' on the V8's.

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

What slip would expect from the Rev4 vs the Eco ?
          13% seems high to me.

Comment

ECO I normally expect 5-8% slip
            Revolution 4, I expect 8-12 normally
            13 is right there, and 20 is an odd pitch that hasn't been around very long so I don't know how that one runs.
            Just had a guy last week with a set or Rev 4 20's and he was at 2% slip, which kinda surprised me the other way.
            They do vary a bit.

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
            X