Novurania 430DL repower with Yam F70

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novurania 430DL repower with Yam F70

Hi Ken, I worked with you years ago regarding a prop for a contender 23 open. You were spot on then and i purchased a Merc Revolution 4 through you and I’m sure you will be again!

The boat this time is a 2016 Novurania 430DL RIB. It is about 14’ long and weighs about 900lbs with full fuel (11gal!) and no occupants. It had a 2016 Yamaha F60 on it with a painted stainless 10 1/4 x 15 prop that turned a max of 5400 RPM and ~ 40 GPS mph with only me (170lbs) on board. I felt it was a tiny bit over propped for our usual load of 2 adults and 2 small children but was overall happy with the F60’s performance.

However, I came across a smoking deal for a 2018 Yamaha F70. I thought that the current prop on the F60 would be the perfect match given the additional 10 hp to overcome the slight over propping while loaded of the F60 but the lower unit bullet on the F70 is larger and there are 15 splines instead of the F60’s 13.

To add to the confusion, ive been recommended to go with aluminum rather than stainless for improved hole shot.

i am thinking an aluminum 13 1/2 x 15 aluminum Talon GP w/ SDS is the way to go on the F70. Can you provide your expert opinion on this and can you please provide your recommendations if this is not what you’d go with.

thank you!!
    Last edited by Dadriva; 11-28-2018, 09:45 PM.

I'd try and get the engine as high as you can, traditional y they mount them a bit low. A 15" Aluminum might not be enough wheel.
    What is a "Smoking deal" on an F70, if I may ask?
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
      I'd try and get the engine as high as you can, traditional y they mount them a bit low. A 15" Aluminum might not be enough wheel.
      What is a "Smoking deal" on an F70, if I may ask?
      Hi Ole,

thanks for your input. We corresponded via email about this motor and I obtained a quote from you.

Thanks again for your prop thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadriva View Post

Hi Ole,

thanks for your input. We corresponded via email about this motor and I obtained a quote from you.

Thanks again for your prop thoughts.
        I went back through the emails. Looks like your guy found an engine.
        Good deal!
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

What was the wide open GPS speed with the F60 ?

Pitch will depend on how fast the boat is.
          15 would be good for around 32-35 MPH
          16 would be good for 36-38
          17 would be good for 39-42

And we want you to be able to crack 6000 RPM loaded up like you normally run it. That motor goes from 5300-6300

The yamaha aluminum's are not bad.
          If you go stainless, I like the Powertech SCD3 (looks just like the yamaha aluminum blade, its just stainless)

Ken Reeves
          KR@Propgods.com
          941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
            What was the wide open GPS speed with the F60 ?

Pitch will depend on how fast the boat is.
            15 would be good for around 32-35 MPH
            16 would be good for 36-38
            17 would be good for 39-42

And we want you to be able to crack 6000 RPM loaded up like you normally run it. That motor goes from 5300-6300

The yamaha aluminum's are not bad.
            If you go stainless, I like the Powertech SCD3 (looks just like the yamaha aluminum blade, its just stainless)
            Hi Ken,

Thanks for your input!

WOT with the F60 and only me on board was right around 40 mph on the gps at 5400 rpm. That was with a 10 1/4 x 15p painted stainless prop.

For the F70, We might find ourselves having to go up in pitch. Also, I like stainless over aluminum but am willing to give the aluminum a try for this application and in an effort to improve hole shot.

Any thoughts on diameter?

Comment

I'd start with a 17 pitch.
              Yamaha aluminum diameter for the 17 pitch is 13 1/4
              Powertech stainless SCD3 is 13 inch diameter.

Ken Reeves
              KR@Propgods.com
              941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
                I'd start with a 17 pitch.
                Yamaha aluminum diameter for the 17 pitch is 13 1/4
                Powertech stainless SCD3 is 13 inch diameter.
                We just got her back in the water today and WOW what a difference! The greater surface area of the larger diameter propeller is VERY noticeable. The Yamaha shift dampening system is also very nice and smooth by comparison to the other non SDS prop.

The aluminum 15 pitch seems to be underpropped so far.

Ken, do you still offer your prop testing service in FL?

Comment

I do have an 18 pitch Powertech SCD3 available for testing.
                  I don't normally have test props for this size gearcase, but I happen to have that one.

Ken Reeves
                  KR@Propgods.com
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Just got to the point in the break in where I can go WOT. She easily turns 6300 rpm at 39 GPS mph with only me aboard. The boat absolutely rips and feels like a race car with jet ski like throttle response.

I haven’t had enough time at WOT with the boat loaded (pregnant wife doesn’t like WOT lolol!!) but I think we might need another inch or 2 of pitch.

Ken, is there an option of purchasing a few props with the intent of testing, choosing one and returning the others?
                    Last edited by Dadriva; 12-05-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

What prop are you getting 6300 at 39 ?
                      Sounds like your setup pretty well.

I don't have the option of sending a few props, and letting you pick the one you like.
                      I am one of the few that will let you return the prop for something else if you buy it.
                      And I also have test props that I send out for $30 plus shipping. Most of my test props are for larger motors. but I do have the 18 pitch SCD3 available.
                      Given your speed, I still think you'd want a 17 pitch SCD3 though.

Ken Reeves
                      KR@Propgods.com
                      941-735-5808

Comment

The current prop is a Talon GP Aluminum 13 1/4 x 15.

I think maybe a 16p might be perfect for our usual loading. The aluminum was recommended for better hole shot. Do you have any thoughts re stainless vs aluminum on a RIB?

maybe an SCD3 in 16?

Comment

Main thing would be durability. if you idle around in shallow areas, and run through the sand a little bit, (or occasionally run in some shallow water you werent' expecting) the stainless prop will be fine. Aluminum will tear up quick. and what little cupping it may have will wear off pretty quick as well.

Holeshot, I don't think it would be much difference between them.
                          If you go up in pitch holeshot will be a little slower, but that will be true with stainless or aluminum.

Ken Reeves
                          KR@Propgods.com
                          941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                          X