Homemade Bay Boat Project needs a prop - UPDATED w/ Prelim numbers !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Bay Boat Project needs a prop - UPDATED w/ Prelim numbers !!!

2900lbs bay boat aluminum hull wt with motor/fuel/hull. Hull is 3/16 aluminum plate, Motor is a 2011 Optimax 150. I'm considering a Revolution 4, maybe 21/22 pitch. The last boat I had built used a 22P Revolution4, and it was perfect. Tempest plus had almost 4 mph higher top end at full throttle, but the hole shot of the Rev4 was stunningly quick. This boat is almost 2 feet shorter, and does not have a pad in the rear. The V goes all the way to the transom, so I'm thinking I'm going to need something that does not have a ton of bow lift. Just my thinking. Getting the rigging and electronics hooked up this week, so I haven't had a chance to test anything yet. Looking for a good place to start. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by chasu; 11-29-2018, 03:26 PM.

similar style hulls, or completely different ?

Rev 4 sounds like what you would want again.
    What motor did you have on the last boat?

looking for speed, or more interested in getting up in shallow water?

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken. Totally different hulls. The hull I had before was 20' with a 24" gill bracket and a 4" Atlas jack plate. This one is 19'6" with a 10" gill bracket and 4" Atlas jack plate. The other hull was 6' wide on the bottom and had a performance pad crimped into the hull. This one is 6' wide on the bottom and straight V to the center. Looking for getting up in shallow water primarily. Something to provide lift in the rear, if that's possible.

Comment

Well, the Revolution 4 would be a great place to start.

Pitch will just depend on how fast we think its going to go.

1.87 gear, 17 pitch would be good for mid 40's if you could turn up close to 5700
        19 would be good for around 50 "IF" you can turn the RPM

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Well, I was high bidder on a PowerTech voucher from our local Coastal Conservation Association banquet. I ordered the CFS4 in 17P after speaking with Steven at PowerTech, but it's a 15" Dia prop, so I'm thinking the numbers may be fine. I tried a 19P Vengeance that is about 13.5 dia. but it had a little wear on it and it took a minute, but it did hit the rev limit. A 17P Mirage Plus performed ok, but hit the rev limit too. I'll share some numbers once I get this one tested.

Comment

Sounds good, let us know how it goes !

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Super excited about this prop. Head snapping hole shot, mediocre speed, but adequate. Weather caused me to shorten my sea trial, but this is what I have.

PowerTech CFS4 17P
              150HP Mercury Optimax 150
              2960 lb. hull/motor/3 batteries (2 AGM Deep Cycle in the bow and 1 1000cca in the stern)/troll motor installed, full oil tank (stern), 30gal fuel (Mid under the console), plus 250# of me in the cockpit.

Jacked all the way up and trimmed all the way down, hole shot was approx 2, but less than 3 seconds to plane. (IMPRESSED !)
              Jacked all the way down and trimmed all the way down, same result to plane.
              Jacked all the way down and trimmed all the way up WOT RPM was 5650 and 45MPH
              Jacked to 3" and trimmed all the way up to the point just below porpoise WOT RPM was tapping 5800 and 45.8MPH, but no alarm
              Jacked to 4" and trimmed all the way up to the point just below porpoise WOT RPM was at the rev limit alarm and speed was 46.5MPH at the alarm
              Jacked to 6" and trimmed all the way down, around 5000 RPM I lost water pressure as I began trimming, so the intake was breaking the surface, so I bailed out of this section of the test.

I cruised back to the launch and observed GPS Speed at 33.2 MPH at 4200RPM, 32.0 MPH @ 4000 RPM, 29.6 MPH at 3800 RPM.
              One WOT burst I was able to get to 46.8 MPH trimmed and jacked midway, but this is where the rev limit alarm hit me again, but didn't loose water pressure.

I think once I load a couple of ice chest and 2-3 more people with fishing gear, the motor cruising at 3800-4200RPM should be happy, which is where I spend 95% cruising time. ANY THOUGHTS?

Comment

Sounds pretty darn good to me

Ken Reeves
                KR@Propgods.com
                941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                X