Prop size for Etec G2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop size for Etec G2

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what prop size to start with on my Etec G2 (non-HO version). Motor was recently installed on my 2005 Kencraft Challenger 206 center console. They did the boat no favors by mounting it at the lowest setting which the consensus seems that’s not where these motors need to be. It’s currently back at the dealer that did the repower to have the motor raised 2 holes.

The prop they originally gave was a 14-3/4 x 19 Viper which also doesn’t seem to be the best setup on these motors. I’m looking at trying an RX4 but not sure what pitch I should be looking at as a starting point. With the low mounted motor and that prop it turned 5800 RPM at 41mph WOT. Definitely think I’m missing some speed here. Boat did 45 with the old 200 HPDI that was on there and I know these boats did over 50 with a 200 Opti (although caveat being that’s a lighter and bigger displacement motor than the G2). I would think atleast 45 what it originally did should be more than attainable. Dealer originally thought it would do upper 40s easily but seemed to settle with the results and not think that motor height and prop weren’t he best combo.

my thinking is by raising motor RPM’s should theoretically come up. I was already in a good spot at 5800 RPM so going up a pitch in prop should bring it back a bit. On a side note does anyone know if Ken handles Evinrude props to try? I didn’t see any in for sale section.
    Last edited by jtav2002; 07-10-2018, 04:29 PM.

I don't do evinrude props but I have plenty of props that will fit the G2.
    I'm guessing you have a 200 HP ?
    if so, the 200 Non HO has a 2.17 gear ratio according to their website.
    if the boat is going to run 45 MPH, you'd need about a 20 pitch prop, maybe 21 depending on the style you go with.

Out of curiosity, what prop did you have on your HPDI? did you like the way the boat handled with it?

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Ah yes it’s a 200. Forgot to mention that.

Unfortunately not sure what was on the HPDI other than a 3 blade. I know that doesn’t help. I was the third owner and never really had any issues with it so never paid attention to what was on there. It handled good for the most part but seemed to lose its bite in turns unless you trimmed down a lot prior.

I was originally planning on the RX4 since the ETEC guys regard that as a good combination of top end and grip.

Comment

As with all props, it varies.
        I was dealing with a guy that had RX4 props and they hooked up great, super low slip numbers and great all around prop.
        but recently on here, a guy was running them and they were slipping surprisingly badly. weird.

But yes, I'd try the 19 pitch if you go RX4

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for the help so far. Looks like the RX4 doesn’t come in a 19 pitch. Any downside in trying the 20 pitch? Since the motor is getting raised a couple holes that should theoretically raise current WOT rpm I would think so going up to 20 from
          the current 19 pitch prop on there should offset some
          of that RPM increase. Or am I thinking about that wrong?

Comment

20 may be good, (if you gain the speed back to 45 MPH)

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks again. Think I’ll try the 20 pitch RX4 and see how she does. I’ll report back. If I don’t like the results I’ll get back with you and see what non-Evinrude props you have that I may like.

Comment

Finally was able to get the motor raised to where it should be. Tried a 20 pitch RX4. Fuel economy is better and picked up a couple mph on the top end to 43 but only hitting 5400 RPM now. Gotta do a couple more runs as conditions on the water weren’t perfect.

Comment

So did some more runs with same results. Perhaps the 18 pitch RX4 would have been a better option and would gain me back those 400 or so RPM.

Unless you have something that you carry that you think may be worth a try. Other than not getting the desired RPM I do like the handling characteristics of the RX4. Notes well in turns and provides good bow lift.

Comment

Sounds like the RX4 is doing well, just low on RPM. "if" you'd have got back to 45 MPH, you'd have theoretically be turning 5666 RPM, if you got the same slip ratio as your currently getting. (9%)
                    18's will turn 6000 RPM to go 43 MPH if they get the same slip ratio.

Closest thing I would have is the Powertech OFX4. they cost $499 each

Ken Reeves
                    [email protected]
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Tried the 18 RX4. 41mph at 5800RPM WOT. Just going to stick with this setup for the rest of the season. May try some 3 blades next season to get a little more speed.

Comment

Thanks for updating !

Ken Reeves
                        [email protected]
                        941-735-5808

Comment

Hi Ken - bumping this post from last season. Wanted to see what 3 blade you carry that you might recommend. I went from the 4 blade Evinrude RX4 prop that i had been using in post 11 and put on the original prop that came with the setup to see that performed after i had the motor raised last season (obviously that should have been my first starting point trying the original prop). as expected a little high on the RPM's it's doing 6000-6100 at WOT hitting around 39. That was with a 14-3/4 x 19 Evinrude Viper prop. Any 3 blades you think i should try than what the 4 blade RX4 was giving me? Thanks.

Comment

19 Rebel of evinrude props.
                            or a 19 Mirage Plus of Mercury

Ken Reeves
                            [email protected]
                            941-735-5808

Comment

Evinrude released their V6 RX3 props. If you were running a Rebel while being in the 5600-5800 RPM range you should be able to stay with the same pitch. Switching from RX4 to RX3 generally it would be a +1P.

Comment

Working...
                              X