Ranger 2180, Yamaha 150 - prop ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger 2180, Yamaha 150 - prop ??

Just bought boat and haven't gotten in water yet. Has M17 prop with the cup knocked out of one blade. Previous owner told me mid to upper 30s top end. Is this the right prop, if repaired? If not, some seasoned advice would be most appreciated. Hoping for low/mid 40s.

Thanks in advance
    Morgan

only performance report I find is this one. https://books.google.com/books?id=0G...%20MPH&f=false

If they got 49 MPH with a 225, you'll be around 40 with a 150, assuming you don't have a Ttop or anything.

do you have a two stroke or four stroke 150 ?

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

4 stroke. T-top being added next week.

Thanks

Comment

With a Ttop it will probably slow you down a little.
        I'd go with a Powertech REL3, 16 pitch, they cost $409

Might see what you have though, you might have a Reliance already, in which case, you might just want to have it repaired.

Probably cost $150-200 to repair it.

If its the full size Saltwater series, 15 1/4 X 17, then I'd go with the Powertech REL3.

If its the 14 1/2 x 17 Yamaha Reliance, I'd fix it.

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken! Heading to the flats this weekend, so I'll get to find the sweet spot. Won't have bait well filled and just my 14 year old, so will be light. Hadn't considered a lower pitch. My first bay boat, entire base of experience is with bass boats.

Comment

Those F150's like to turn RPM, so you want at least 5700 RPM
            Let us know how it goes !

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Well, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Motor runs great, but not enough motor for the hull and/or I need a different prop. Max 4600 rpm and 32 mph. Ken, you suggested a 16 pitch, with a grand in RPMs to make up, would that call for a 15?

Thanks

Comment

Well, 16 pitch, 4500 RPM at 32 MPH is 6% slip, which is very good.

But at 32 MPH, You'd need about a 12 pitch to get your RPM up to 6000

When your that low on both RPM AND speed, I'd probably double check that motor.
                Make sure your getting spark on all cylinders. The motor will run smooth as silk on 3 cylinders, no alarms, no computer codes, just slow.
                Ignition coils are very common, but it could be as simple as a plug wire not on all the way. or a bad plug
                Make sure your getting full throttle as well. What are your GPH at wide open? or check the linkage to make sure its getting full throw.

Ken Reeves
                KR@Propgods.com
                941-735-5808

Comment

It has a 17M with slight damage to one blade. It has plenty of low end torque, didn't dog out the hole at all. Would it do that with only 3 cylinders?

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Ahh, I was thinking you'd already got the 16 REL3.

Well, you have a big diameter prop on that motor which is not the best thing for speed, and it is damaged, so thats not good either.
                    I'd get a 16 pitch REL3, and see what happens.

Ken Reeves
                    KR@Propgods.com
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Copy that and thanks! I read in an old Post on similar topic that you'd helped someone find out that a 17p Mercury performed better than the OEM. Which leads to the question: Do you have some type of demo program?

Morgan

Comment

If you get the REL3 and decide you want a different pitch or style, its $35 plus shipping to swap out.

Did they run a 17 pitch Mercury on the same exact boat? what speed did they get?

Ken Reeves
                        KR@Propgods.com
                        941-735-5808

Comment

It wasn't same boat, just noteworthy because the factory matched want the best. Thanks again for sharing your expertise! What's your well address to ship pros? The propgods website just says it's old.

Comment

If you want the Powertech, it would just ship straight to you, I don't deal with used stuff.

Just call if you want one 941 735 5808

Ken Reeves
                            KR@Propgods.com
                            941-735-5808

Comment

Sorry Ken, stupid auto-correct boogered that last message all up. I found the website to purchase props. However, being that the boat jumped on plane and reached top speed very quickly, I'm not sure the prop is the issue, after thinking about it. I'm going to have my mechanic check shift linkage & mechanicals to see if there are any issues. It didn't feel over propped on the low end, only on top.

Comment

Working...
                              X