Tidewater 198CC Adventure prop recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidewater 198CC Adventure prop recommendation

Looking for a prop recommendation for my 198, with a Yamaha F115. Currently run a 13.25x17 talon SDS aluminum prop, and am getting about 38-39 MPH and 6k RPM’s. My boat has a TTop, and am looking for a good prop to use that stays hooked up at a lower speed and get on plane with 4-5 adults and gear quickly. Also looking for SS prop only. Thanks!

oddly, the only numbers I have on that boat were a bit odd. The guy did not like to trim the motor. so all numbers were with no trim
    He was getting 41 MPH at 5800 with a Yamaha 17 aluminum.
    about the same as their test. http://tidewaterboats.net/PDFs/196CCYamahSpec.pdf

Ended up with a Powertech PTR3 16 pitch and liked it, actually gained speed over his aluminum, and said it gave him good traction.

You may want to go 14-15 pitch if your loading with 5 adults all the time.

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

The 196 was a different hull than the 198, and I have noticed loads of discrepancies in the numbers posted on the 196 vs mine. I believe in trim, and trim mine until I ventilate and then back down to where I get traction, right to 6k-6100. I am with one person at 39.7 on the gps. 38 with 4 adults and 4 small kiddos. I also do tons of trolling and slower cruise in the chop of the Chesapeake, but can't stay on plane below 4500. Would you recommend a 4 blade or 3, and still going down in pitch? Also what's the difference between the SCD and PTR props? Thanks Ken!

Comment

Sorry, that test was the 196 , the guy I was dealing with that liked the PTR3 had a 198 boat just like yours though.

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
          Sorry, that test was the 196 , the guy I was dealing with that liked the PTR3 had a 198 boat just like yours though.
          Ah, ok. So with my use and operating area, do you think I should go three blade or four? Like I said, I fall off of plane promptly at 4500 and less. Also, what's the difference between the SCD series and PTR series? I was looking at the SCD series, as it looks very similar to the talon. Also, if I ordered from you as I am planning to do, will either of those come with the cushion lock hub? I can't stand prop chatter.

Comment

The small Powertech props like this just have a rubber hub. They are developing the cushion lok for the smaller hubs, but not there yet.

The SCD3 would be less likely to chatter, as it is very small diameter and small blades. Normally do not have issues with it.

The guy that ran the PTR liked it best, (it is a bow lifting high rake prop) but again, he was an odd guy that refused to trim his motor up. he thought the prop was not correct if it required him to trim.
            So, any info I have from him is basically useless the more I think about it.

You an go with the SCD3 (less likely to chatter) or the SCD4. both sternlifting blade styles.
            The 4 blade would give you more sternlift, and hold you on plane at slower speeds. and have better grip at slower speeds.
            I'd go 16 pitch
            If you get it and don't like it, send it back for $35

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Reviving this thread as I am looking for same boat, and nearly same conditions. I'm on SFbay, so notorious chop and wind- staying on plane at lower speeds is what I'm hoping. Don't care about top end much. I do have trim tabs.

13x16 or q3x17?

Comment

4 blade, CoachStevo

Comment

Thanks, scd4 blade 13x 16 pitch - correct?
                  stock is an aluminum 13x17, set up is exactly the same as the OP

Comment

SCD4 16 is what he went with if I remember right.
                    might try to "PM" Agrims if there is a way.

Ken Reeves
                    KR@Propgods.com
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Just to finish off my post. The scd4 in 16 worked out great. Stay on plane, quick holeshot, and don't notice the loss of top end.

Comment

Now that it's winter, I'm thinking about summer. The 13x16 works great here at sea level in salt. Summer we tow to Tahoe (6600 feet) typically I'm dragging more weight 6 people instead of 3 or 4, and towing a tube. Seems because of elevation I'd want to go down to at least 13x14?

Comment

Nice ! glad to hear it ran well.

Ken Reeves
                          KR@Propgods.com
                          941-735-5808

Comment

And for 6000 feet elevation, should I drop down to a 14 pitch from the 16?

Comment

bear with me, as I'm a Florida boy, and the biggest hill we have is Space Mountain.

according to the HP calculator, 6000 feet is going to drop you around 20% HP, so you'd theoretically make about 90 HP up there.
                              http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

If you ran 40 MPH with 115 HP, your going to run 35 MPH with 90
                              http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

Dropping to a 14 pitch should turn 6000 RPM at about 35 MPH if you get the same slip ratio your getting with the 16 pitch. which you should.

so, yes, I think 14 pitch would be right where you'd need to be.

Ken Reeves
                              KR@Propgods.com
                              941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                              X