4 Blade prop recommendations....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Blade prop recommendations....

I have a 1993 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer 7.4.... I wanting to go to a 4 blade prop, my current prop is a 18.5 with 17 pitch.I would like to get a little stern lift.

Powertech has some good 4 blades. I normally like the BRS4 which is 17 1/4 diameter, but a good all around blade.
    They have the BRA4 which is 18.5 diameter and has a lot of cup, but I think you would like the BRS better.

That one cost $709 with a cushion lok hub. and its $70 plus shipping if we need to swap to a different pitch or style.

Do you know the gear ratio of your Bravo 2 drive by chance?
    What RPM and GPS speed are you getting with that 17 pitch 3 blade? at wide open

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

I just bought the boat a month ago, the few times I've been out I haven't checked the speed and rpm. It has a 2.00:1 gear ratio, as soon as the weather breaks a little here in Ga I'll get the rpm and speed for you........Thanks

Comment

Looking back at a couple emails, and this boat review, I'd expect mid to high 20's for top speed, depending on how your loaded.
        In the boat review, they claimed 27-30 MPH. http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/power/SeaRay290.asp
        The lowest pitch they make in that 4 blade is 16, and thats what I'd go with.
        The BRS4 16 pitch.

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Didn't use GPS for speed....4500 RPM around 32 MPH speedometer

Comment

I'd trust the magazine article more then that speedometer. but if you go check with GPS or even a cell phone speedometer app, it would be more accurate.

It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but 3 MPH on your boat is roughly 10%, which is a big move for target RPM.

I'd still lean toward a 16 pitch

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
              I'd trust the magazine article more then that speedometer. but if you go check with GPS or even a cell phone speedometer app, it would be more accurate.

It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but 3 MPH on your boat is roughly 10%, which is a big move for target RPM.

I'd still lean toward a 16 pitch
              Ken I took your advise and used GPS for mph, came up with 28.5 mph @ 4500-4600 rpm. Do you still recommend the same prop.....Thanks

Comment

Yes, I'd still go 16.
                Your speed is right inline with that report we found, so thats normal.

Ken Reeves
                KR@Propgods.com
                941-735-5808

Comment

Yes, I'd still go 16.
                  Your speed is right inline with that report we found, so thats normal.
                  Ken where do you think my MPH will be at with this prop.....Thanks

Comment

Probably about the same as your current prop. Might be a little faster or slower, nothing huge in either direction.

Ken Reeves
                    KR@Propgods.com
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Ken hate to bother you again, i found a used BRA4 at a pretty good price. Could you compare these for me to understand how each would perform on my boat compared to my 18.5 17" 3 blade SS prop I have now. Again Thanks!

Comment

The BRA4 is larger diameter And has a huge amount of cup.

I think you would be very low on RPM with a BRA4 in 17 pitch.

Ken Reeves
                        KR@Propgods.com
                        941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken the new prop works great, it's like a different boat. My GPS now reads 30.5 Mph and it planes out very fast now, and stays on plane at very low speeds. Thanks, again!!!

Comment

Nice ! I'm glad it ran well.
                            30 + MPH ! that is better then I was expecting.
                            How was RPM ?

Ken Reeves
                            KR@Propgods.com
                            941-735-5808

Comment

nice ! I'm glad it ran well.
                              30 + mph ! That is better then i was expecting.
                              How was rpm ?
                              4600 rpm

Comment

Working...
                              X