X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendation for a prop

Hi Guys,

My first post here...let me see if i can explain myself:

Just bought a Sea Fox 216 WA that came with a Verado 175hp. It came with a Merc Prop 4 blade 15x15.
    The boat was riding okay but no more than 5200rpm that i guess is on the low side, and with lots of cavitation on turns with engine fully down.

Tried a 3 blade merc with the same 15x15 and got 6200rpm @ 45mph. Would this be right?

It didn't feel right, at least to me, the behavior of the boat with this 3 blade prop.

Anyone with this boat and engine would have another recommendation?

Many thanks in advance,

s,

Rico

The Enertia or Quicksilver Q3 would be my first choice, and I'd expect mid 40's out of that boat with a 175 and a normal load.
    and I would think you'd need a 17 pitch prop to get there.

The odd thing about your numbers is 15 pitch, 2.08 gear ratio, 6200 RPM and 45 MPH is negative 6% slip.

Was that speed on GPS or speedometer?
    What brand/model of props were the two props you got to try?

Was the 3 blade doing anything specific that you didn't like?
    What MPH did the 4 blade run at 5200 ?

Ken

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
      The Enertia or Quicksilver Q3 would be my first choice, and I'd expect mid 40's out of that boat with a 175 and a normal load.
      and I would think you'd need a 17 pitch prop to get there.

The odd thing about your numbers is 15 pitch, 2.08 gear ratio, 6200 RPM and 45 MPH is negative 6% slip.

Was that speed on GPS or speedometer?
      What brand/model of props were the two props you got to try?

Was the 3 blade doing anything specific that you didn't like?
      What MPH did the 4 blade run at 5200 ?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks on your quick response.

Just took note on your suggestion and i am already arrange a way to try it.

The speed was from GPS for the 4 blade (Mercury Revolution 4) 5200rpm @ 33mph

The 3 blade is a Mercury Inertia and the speed was marked in Speedometer. 6200rpm @ 35mph (sorry to mislead you)

With the 3 blade i though the boat to be on a leash, not much improving in speed even at a more efficient rpm.

Best,

Rico

Comment

Here is a performance report with a Yamaha 150 Sea Fox 216 WA
        http://www.seafoxitalia.it/performan...-09-11_OWA.PDF

Ok, so it was 6200 @ 35 MPH with the 15 X 15 pitch Enertia.
        and you said 5200 @ 33 MPH with the 14 5/8 X 15 pitch Revolution 4
        If so, that would be odd as well. Was there a 1000 RPM difference in the props, or was that a typo ?

If by chance you were turning the Enertia 5200 RPM at 35 MPH, then that would make more sense.

"If" that is what its doing, then it sounds like you probably have a bad coil on that motor, and your not getting full power.
        On average, that motor running on 3 cylinders would be 1000 RPM low, and 10 MPH short of where it should be.
        If it has a bad coil, or plug, it will run smooth as silk, no warnings or codes, just be low on RPM and speed.

Is the bottom of the boat clean, no growth?

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Here is a performance report with a Yamaha 150 Sea Fox 216 WA
          http://www.seafoxitalia.it/performan...-09-11_OWA.PDF

Ok, so it was 6200 @ 35 MPH with the 15 X 15 pitch Enertia.
          and you said 5200 @ 33 MPH with the 14 5/8 X 15 pitch Revolution 4
          If so, that would be odd as well. Was there a 1000 RPM difference in the props, or was that a typo ?

If by chance you were turning the Enertia 5200 RPM at 35 MPH, then that would make more sense.

"If" that is what its doing, then it sounds like you probably have a bad coil on that motor, and your not getting full power.
          On average, that motor running on 3 cylinders would be 1000 RPM low, and 10 MPH short of where it should be.
          If it has a bad coil, or plug, it will run smooth as silk, no warnings or codes, just be low on RPM and speed.

Is the bottom of the boat clean, no growth?

In fact those numbers are correct, no typo this time . Except for the 3 blade prop that was a vengeance not inertia. They told me that was inertia but today i confirmed that was a vengeance.

Tomorrow i will be fishing so I'll come again to tell how it went.

I just putted the boat on water a few days ago, so the bottom is completely clean.

So many thanks for your help.

Best,

Rico

Comment

Ok, I'd still suggest a 15 X 15 Enertia. or the Quicksilver Q3. (same prop)

The Vengeance you had is slipping quite a bit. 26%. which means it has no traction. That is likely why it doesn't "feel" good on the boat.

the Rev 4 15 pitch, is slipping a 17% slip, which is not great either.

The 15 pitch Q3 or Enertia should be a big improvement over either of the props you've tried.

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

Ok, I'd still suggest a 15 X 15 Enertia. or the Quicksilver Q3. (same prop)

The Vengeance you had is slipping quite a bit. 26%. which means it has no traction. That is likely why it doesn't "feel" good on the boat.

the Rev 4 15 pitch, is slipping a 17% slip, which is not great either.

The 15 pitch Q3 or Enertia should be a big improvement over either of the props you've tried.

So today i went for fishing (well, not much fishing, but more!

Really tried the boat extensively. With some other issues in the Verado engine (Shift actuator problem and Power Limited Engine Guard).

Max rpm was 6500 and speed was 29mph (two persons and 1/4 fuel). Which seems to be quite low right?

Tried also with 6 people and got the same 6500rpm but 23mph

By the way Ken, do you sell the propellers to europe?

Many thanks for your incredible support.

Rico

Comment

I ship them to Europe.
                Normally cost about 130 bucks to ship it.

The Q3 15 pitch is 469

Ken Reeves
                KR@Propgods.com
                941-735-5808

Comment

Hi Ken,

The main issue are customs, which will kill all the advantage in buying from the US.

Anyway, do you think it can compensate to buy the Inertia instead of the Q3

What do you think about the Inertia Eco?

Now i have to choose between 15 and 17 Pitch as i don't have any way to try theses propellers. I will have to buy and hope for the best

Best,

Rico

Comment

15 X 15 Q3 is the prop I would recommend.

same prop as the Enertia, the only reason I go with the Enertia is when I have a twin engine boat, as they don't offer the Q3 in counter rotation yet.

The main thing I would want to confirm is speed.
                    MPH or KTS very important.
                    We started at 45 MPH, then went to 35, the latest is 29 light and 23 loaded.

Hard to make an accurate prediction on those numbers. You may have other issues other then just a prop.

However, the 15 pitch Q3 should have strong traction, and acceleration.
                    You'll never get much over 40 MPH, 34.7 KTS, 64 Km/hour. But it will be a very consistent prop that should outperform anything you've ran yet.

Ken Reeves
                    KR@Propgods.com
                    941-735-5808

Comment

15 X 15 Q3 is the prop I would recommend.

same prop as the Enertia, the only reason I go with the Enertia is when I have a twin engine boat, as they don't offer the Q3 in counter rotation yet.

The main thing I would want to confirm is speed.
                      MPH or KTS very important.
                      We started at 45 MPH, then went to 35, the latest is 29 light and 23 loaded.

Hard to make an accurate prediction on those numbers. You may have other issues other then just a prop.

However, the 15 pitch Q3 should have strong traction, and acceleration.
                      You'll never get much over 40 MPH, 34.7 KTS, 64 Km/hour. But it will be a very consistent prop that should outperform anything you've ran yet.

Hi Ken,

As i told i was having some issues on verado that had to be addressed as i thought they were limiting engine power. So i got a spare shift actuator.

i got back to my Rev4 and went fishing. I got a max of 5800rpm @ 35mhp (smartcraft)

does this help or still not making any sense?

Thanks again for your patient

best,

Rico

Comment

15 Q3 would still be my choice based on your numbers from the Rev 4.

Ken Reeves
                        KR@Propgods.com
                        941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                        X