prop for Yam VF250 Key West 239

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop for Yam VF250 Key West 239

Just picked up a 2016 239 fs Key West with a 120 Yam SHO VF250. My numbers calc out to 30% slip. It has an aluminum 14 x 19 Hustler from Turning Point. Top RPM 5300. 38-39 mph trimmed. I'd like to go to a SS prop that will get the RPMs up and the speed up. What do you suggest? I should add that it has 1/2 tank of fuel (maybe 50 gallons) and thers were two of us ( a little less than 400 lbs.

Looks like they got 43 MPH with a 200 HP.
    I would expect that one to run high 40's https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2014-04-01_occ

I would suggest a 15 1/2 X 17 Quicksilver Thunderbolt.

Should accelerate strong, and still run decent on top end.

Depending on what speed you get, there is a chance we may have to go to a 15 or 16.
    But I'd try the 17 first

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

• MrPat
      MrPat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ken

Will that prop need a hub to use on Yamaha?

Comment

8m0075402
      A lot of guys that get that hub end up using the stock thrust washer.
      So try both and see which you prefer.

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]om
      941-735-5808

Comment

Did you ever get the stainless? I have the same outboard on my TW230. I know some guys running your boat with a SHO on THT.

I'm running the 17 pitch with outboard in hole #3. After I bought it I talked to Ken about props and at the time thought about going 18p Enertia. I was hitting the Rev limiter and seeing around 51-52 mph. However, since the outboard has broken in my RPM has dropped. I consistently hit 49-50 mph at 5800-5900 rpm and may consider a 15P.

Comment

If your getting 5900 RPM at 50 MPH your at 8% slip and perfect RPM
          if you drop to 15 pitch, you'll bang the 6100 Rev limiter at 46 MPH
          but it would accelerate stronger.

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

• davepjr71
            davepjr71 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank Ken,
            So, I'm basically at max performance right now? If I installed a jack plate how would that change performance?

if by performance, your talking about top end speed, then yes, I don't think your going to gain much speed.
          Experimenting with height, and props, you might pick up 1 or 2 MPH, but that would be about all I'd expect out of it.

Tidewater got 51.6 with your same setup. that was with 1/2 tank of fuel, no anchor, no baitwells, no nothing in the boat.
          https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2016-08-07_occ
          With the "SUV" model, they got 48 MPH
          Specs look the exact same, don't know what the difference is.
          https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2016-08-05_occ

I would bet your boat lost RPM and speed from just a little bit of added gear like anchor, bumpers, rope, and random stuff your keeping in the boat vs those first 10 hours of break in where you likely didn't have anything in there.

If your trying to go faster, an 18 Enertia might go 1 or 2 MPH faster. A 19 Tempest Plus would be an interesting one to try. Gives good bowlift and its normally pretty fast.

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

Ken,
            Did you ever get an 18 Enertia in as a test prop? You told me before that prop probably would work well. As far as loading goes the loads were pretty close even on compared to now. One of my fastest days was with 3 guys and all our gear plus 1/2 tank or more. I started fishing the 1st day with it and the windlass and such were on there when I bought it. I'll lighten it up after the bay thaws and see if indeed I get back to where I was.

Comment

guy bought my test prop, I ordered a new one last week. so I'll have it soon.

Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

Comment

Hi Ken, I know it's been a while. What are your thoughts of trying out the Enertia Eco (17P or 18P) in place of my 17P SWS? After another year of running I'm back to hitting 6100 RPM when trimmed out with 2 guys, 3/4 tank of fuel and fishing gear. If the weather ever cooperates I can provide good numbers before you respond so I know where the RPM is sitting. Thanks.

Comment

Hey Dave,
                  Shoot me an email about the test prop 18 ECO. (my email is the line for test props)
                  Have two sets now, they should be back next week
                  [email protected]

Ken Reeves
                  [email protected]
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                  X