Prop help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop help

I just bought a used 2005 Sea Pro sv1900cc with a 2004 Yamaha 150hp four stroke. It has a 15.25”x18” pitch and I’m turning up 5400. What is recommended, stay with the bigger blade and go down in pitch or get a smaller blade and stay higher in pitch?

I've always thought go down in pitch but wait for Ken or someone else to jump in.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

that is a large diameter prop for the F150. Not a bad thing, just the 4 cylinder motors often chatter and clunk a lot when they have the big diameter prop on there.
      Yamaha usually uses their "Reliance" series, instead of their Saltwater series.

As for your boat, it kinda depends on if there is anything in particular you are trying to improve on.
      You are not hurting anything like it is.
      anything you want to fix ?
      what GPS speed are you getting at 5400 ?

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

Comment

Nothing specific I would like to accomplish other than I was alway told light empty boat with a four stroke, you want it to turn 5800-6000 and I’m turning 5400. I will always have 3-4 people total with me when I go fishing and don’t want to bog it to much. I’m not 100% on the speed because I just bought it and never paid much attention to it.

Comment

Ideally I would want to be able to turn 5700-6000 with the boat loaded like you actually plan to use it.
          I may suggest different props for two guys with the same boat, because one runs with 1/2 tank of fuel and cruises around from point A to point B and the other guy make take his 3 friends offshore fishing all the time and run with a full tank of fuel, gear, ice, coolers and his big buddies.

The style of prop you want is going to depend on what the boat to do, and if there is anything you want to change about the ride. (if the boat porpoised or ventilated, or did anything annoying you want to change)

The pitch of the prop will depend on the specific brand/model of prop your dealing with, and what GPS speed you actually get at wide open with the boat loaded like you actually plan to run.

So it goes back to the question, what is your GPS speed at wide open with your 3 buddies on the boat and all your stuff

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

GPS speed 42 mph

Comment

So I'd suggest a Rubex HR3 in 16 pitch, and expect about the same top speed, but stronger acceleration and you'd turn up around 6000 RPM
              they cost 390 from me

Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
              X