Suzuki spun hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki spun hub

HI - I have a Suzuki 250apx on my sailfish 236 (2003). I'm currently running a zuk prop 3x16x18.5 and i think I spun the hub on it last week. Idling out of the harbor at about 6-8mph was no issue but when trying to get up on plane and running i could only hit 20mp before my rpm's would rev to WOT but no acceleration. I'm going to bring the prop to a prop shop to get re-hubbed and want to get opinions on if there is anything i should look out for when having them do the prop? Also are these props known for randomly spinning hubs?

Second part to the question is I put on my spare Powertech 3x16x18 prop today and immediately noticed must less thrust when around the dock. Shifting was smooth in and out of gear but there was very little thrust compared to the zuk prop...is this normal for a Powertech of similar specs to have a much different performance around the dock?

Thanks

Hub might be fine. I had to get my 250 prop "cupped".

Comment

The zuk prop ran fine the day before so it's either a spun hub or motor problem.

The powertech I noted is my spare and it just acted funny....didn't know if anyone felt tue same way with these props being a lot less "thrusty" around the dock at low rpms. The zuk prop had a ton of bite and was very responsive.

Comment

first, YES, the older style rubber hub Suzuki props had a bad issue with spinning hubs.
        They were fine for a lot of years, but for some reason, they had a lot of issues with them the last couple years they made them.
        Bad news is, when you have a new hub pressed in, you will likely spin it again very soon.

It became so much of an issue, they came out with their "water grip" hub to solve the problem.
        Its basically a mercury style hub, but it solved the problem. and its replaceable just like a mercury hub, or solas, or any of the others that have copied mercury's hub design.

So you could buy a Suzuki "water Grip" of the same size, and it would have a better hub style, and "should" run just like your old prop did.

Your Powertech LFS3 is definitely going to turn more RPM, as it is a true 18 pitch, and the Solas is going to act more like a 19 or 20.
        It should have decent traction and push at docking speeds, but maybe it needs to be adjusted a little to make it run better.

The Solas 16 x 19 would be a good substitute for the 18.5 Suzuki as well. It has the Mercury style hub, and Solas is who makes Suzuki props in the first place.
        I do have them both.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Ken - thanks for the reply. How much would a new Solas 16x19 run me ?

Also, question on the powetech....when installing it there is no need for the spacer (the zuk prop needs it) but do I need to put that small washer between prop and the castle nut?

Thanks
          Last edited by CAD_Monkey; 09-10-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

The little flat washer under the prop nut is not really needed, just mainly to get your spacing right for the cotter pin to line up right.
            I sell the Solas for 360, and 65 for the hub.
            just email me if you want one.

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Brought the prop to a prop-shop and sure enough the hub was spun...they are going to re-hub it for me but I know you mentioned that it will most likely just re-spin again. Is this a pretty sure bet in your opinion?

That said, I popped on my Powertech 13x16x18 and ran it this weekend. The performance was pretty bad but I did notice i had some barnacle growth on my tabs and could feel some on the outside chine (assuming there are more over the entire bottom). I'm in Massachusetts and wet slip with bottom paint, which was refreshed this spring but i guess didn't preform well. So I assume after 3 or 4 weeks of sitting the growth can cause some issues but I feel something is still off:

It was also pretty rough out but I was looking at 24-26mph at 5200-5500rpm getting 1.6ish mpg. I think i was getting 30-32 mph @ 4800 rpm and 2.6 mpg with that prop last season. Do you feel that some bottom growth could cause a drop off to that extent?

Comment

well, a little growth can have a surprising effect on economy.
                As for the hub, Yes, I would bet that it will spin again, but worth a shot, maybe it will be ok.

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Ken - thanks for the feedback. Once I get this back from the prop shop I'll most likely keep it as a spare, sell my powertech and work with you on a new prop purchase. Do you still do a prop exchange/trials to make sure the prop is correct?

Comment

Yes, if you buy something from me its $40 plus shipping to return it.

Ken Reeves
                    [email protected]
                    941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                    X