Propeller Advice: 2015 Campion Chase 580 with Yamaha 200SHO (flashed to 332hp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    ok thank you and may I ask you what prop you use with your modification now , and do your M21 by 14 7/8 prop is for sale ?

• Yattak07
    replied
    Not a problem.

The guys at Nizpro were awesome to deal with. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you !
    ok I heard about NIZPRO but was not sure if the result was good , now I know it works ! For the steering , mine is easy but my speed is much lower than you , I will say my Larson with a 150 HP yamaha on it was terrible , exactly like yours .

• Yattak07
    replied
    Congrats on the bought purchase. I would have to agree that your gauge may be off as you should hear alarms or feel it "studder" when bumping the rev limiter. Once you check your gauge you will know if you can spin the 23P.

Based on your numbers of 6600rpms, 21P, 1.75 gearing with a 10%slip(guess) you should be doing 66mph!!! So I think you will find that your tach is way off and or your prop slip is excessive.

Now, to bump up your horsepower, the kit I went with was from Nizpro out of Australia. It will take your 200hp to 332hp by simply reprogramming the ECU.

Question for you, how is your steering at full throttle and max trim? Mine got incredibly stiff and difficult (impossible) to turn right.

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    Good day Probie ! hope you still member on this site , my name is Ken ( not the propeller pro ) i just bought a Chase 580 2019 and Vmax 200 2019 , my max speed is between 53 to 55 mph with a M21 by 14 1/2 inch , speed on GPS , my RPM is too high 6600 on my Faria tach , engine mounted at the highest hole , the dealer said to me my tach is not right because a alarm should ring over 6000 rpm ( over rev ) I dont hera anything over 6000 , anyway next week I will compare the tach rpm gauge versus the real rpm by the flywhell so I knoe where I am exactly , but its not my first boat and I do ski and I can tell you that thing pull like no tommorrow and gets on step like crazy , so I I can go to a 23 pitch ( if my RPM is real at 6600 )now they have those ventilated prop by Yamaha bfor SHO but they are 15 inch ( I guess almost like your 14 7/8 ) I am puzzle for the prop , can you help , and may you tell me what exactly I have to do or a web site to make this Vmax go up 250 HP , Thank you !

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    I will look into having it modified during my off season. Gonna get my tach verified as well so I can be more confident in the numbers.

Hope the Nizpro kit works well for you!!

Thanks again Ken

Leave a comment:

• ken2
    replied
    Rich Junker at Leading Edge Propeller has done a lot with the Scorpions.
    he can get more RPM out of it if needed, without hurting the performance of the prop.
    wish they made a 19 pitch, as a lot of guys just can't turn the 21.

Just got my Nizpro kit, I'm about to do mine tomorrow !

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    Like you the S3 seems to be the "best" prop so far for all around performance. Motor is currently mounted as high as it can go and the hull is as clean as it can be, as it sits on a lift while not in use.

Think I will look into finding a shop that can possibly "modify" it during the off season but will continue to look at other props as I don't want to mess with how good it performs now.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Ibiza
    replied
    Yes, the S3 is a quite big prop, and it's possible the size itself leaves you short of some mphs/rpms compared to the smaller diameter props you've tried. That said, the S3 has really good bite and would probably perform optimal with a higher engine mounting height. Compared to the 3x14,75x23 Lexor, the S3 will easily allow for raising the engine one hole up. Maybe 2 holes. Also check if hull is clean.

I've run the Lexor 3x15x21 and the oem 3x14,75x23 Suzuki-prop on my DF150, and now I just got the new S3. I have a similar style boat that likes a little bit bowlift, and I absolutely love how the S3 performs on my boat - even on my low geared Suzuki. Good traction even at lower speeds (of course not like a big 4 blade - but adequate to my needs). The S3 is my favoute prop together with the Bravo 1 FS.

If you can't gain more mph's/rpms with the S3, but like the behavior/ride-quality of the S3 on your boat you could try the lower pitched Bravo 1 FS (22"). Should give you more rpms given the low slip% on the S3 and similar handling/ride-quality. But it's a pricy prop and probably diffult to get right now. So I'd try to either:
    - Raise the engine one or 2 hole(s) and make sure the hull is clean
    -Or maybe have a good propshop take a look at it, and see if it can be pitched down 1" since 21" is the lowest pitch S3 is offerd in by Solas.

And I might add: Finding the right pitch and getting the rpms right is the "easy" part when it come to props - unless the "right" prop isn't offered in the pitch you need. Finding a prop that suits you and what the boats needs relative to handling, can be harder. So don't give up on the S3 just yet if you like it.
    Last edited by Ibiza; 07-19-2022, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    First I must apologize for the year long delay in posting results. Had a hard time getting the Solas Scorpion 21P with appropriate hub, been super busy etc.

I finally got a chance to install it and give it go a few weeks ago.

The Scorpion seems to be an awesome all round prop, hole shot, cruising, staying on plane, grip etc but did not give me the rpms I was hoping for.

Here are the results:

GPS 63mph @ 5600

I can get rpms a bit higher but need to trim way too much to achieve it.

Again, I am very satisfied with the prop and will be keeping it on as my best all round performance so far. Thanks for the recommendation Ken!!!

Just a quick question on this prop. As it is a quite large prop at 15.25", could this be one of the main reasons why rpms are not higher?

Leave a comment:

• ken2
    replied
    Solas props in general are always very low on slip numbers.
    Its not a good or bad thing, its just the way they make their props.
    I'd still expect 2-5% slip

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    Ken, sorry but I have another question regarding the Solas Scorpion before finalizing the buy.
    As I stated earlier I can not swap out props so once I buy it, it is mine to deal with. And up here in Canada it will be about $750US ($900Cdn)

It looks like Solas has changed the Scorpion prop slightly. It now comes with adjustable vents and a slightly longer (1/2" - 3/4") and flared barrel. I understand that the vents will make it easier to adjust hole shot but do you think the longer flared barrel will impact the general performance on the top? Been reading some reviews on the newer version and most still seem impressed but no real discussion on whether or it still performs like a bigger or more stiff prop.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    Thanks for the hub info. Will update with numbers as soon as I get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• ken2
    replied
    the hubs are the same as mercury hubs.
    just get the prop. you can buy the hub anywhere.
    I suggest the Solas 203B I know they make a different one for the SHO, but I still prefer the 203B

Leave a comment:

• Yattak07
    replied
    I have been reading a bunch of great reviews on the Scorpion. Many stating that it out performed their expectations by a lot. I'm ordering the prop today but the hub that is backordered. Will definitely post numbers when I get a chance.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X