Propeller Advice: 2015 Campion Chase 580 with Yamaha 200SHO (flashed to 332hp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Advice: 2015 Campion Chase 580 with Yamaha 200SHO (flashed to 332hp)

Looking for some help on what prop to buy. Top speed is important but would still like all round good performance.

Boat is 19.2ft and about 2700lbs loaded. Yamaha 200SHO flashed to 332hp with rev limiter at 6400rpms

Before flashing the motor it would do 58-61mph (GPS) at 5600-5700rpms with a Yamaha 21M x 14 7/8" prop.

After flashing I saw 64-65mph at 6400+ rpms with the original 21M prop but was bumping the rev limiter so I did know what actual rpms were.

Had access to a Quicksilver HighFive 25P x 13 1/4". This prop provided 64-66mph at 5400-5500rpms.

So based on those numbers and using a few online calculators I ordered 23P x 14 3/4" Solas Lexor. It gave 65-66mphs at 5300-5400rpms but had to trim it out to the max to even get those rpms. That result confuses me as I should have had way more rpms. That prop behaved like a big 25P prop??? It also "vented" or lost grip out of the hole just before dropping on plane.

I am leaning towards another 23P prop. Maybe a 4 blade??

Live in northern Ontario, Canada so finding a place that allows swapping props is difficult.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd want you to try a Solas 21 pitch Scorpion.
    Would be an interesting prop to try.
    and yes, Solas props can be a little steep on pitch. not a bad thing, just have to expect that when your choosing which pitch you want.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken. I can give that a try for sure. Not what I was thinking or expecting as a recommendation at all....lol.

Was looking more at a 23P OXF4, Rev 4 or Quicksilver.

So you feel that the Scorpion will give me the RPMs closer to the 6000 range? If it is a little steep on pitch then it will be an interesting try for sure.

Thanks again

Comment

Just read a bunch of reviews on the Solas Scorpion and it sounds like it is going to be a very interesting try for sure.....

Thx again.

Comment

What does it mean to flash an engine? And how do you get 300 + HP on a 200 HP eng?

Comment

Basically it just means that you reprogram the ECU to provide more fuel, air, timing etc. There are several companies that do this however the company I went with provide a programmer and a file so you can do it yourself. (no need to ship your ECU across the country)

Motors like the Yamaha 4.2L SHO series are identical in the block, injectors, exhaust, gearing etc from 200 - 300HP. Only real difference is how they use fuel, air, timing, etc.

Hope that answered your question.

Comment

From the guys that post numbers on the scorpion, I normally expect around 1-3% slip, which is not a good or a bad thing, just helps you figure out what pitch you need.
              "if" you could turn a 21 pitch 6000 RPM at 2% slip, you'd be running 67 MPH. if you could turn a little higher, you could run faster, just have to see.

Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

Comment

I have been reading a bunch of great reviews on the Scorpion. Many stating that it out performed their expectations by a lot. I'm ordering the prop today but the hub that is backordered. Will definitely post numbers when I get a chance.

Thanks

Comment

the hubs are the same as mercury hubs.
                  just get the prop. you can buy the hub anywhere.
                  I suggest the Solas 203B I know they make a different one for the SHO, but I still prefer the 203B

Ken Reeves
                  [email protected]
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for the hub info. Will update with numbers as soon as I get a chance.

Comment

Ken, sorry but I have another question regarding the Solas Scorpion before finalizing the buy.
                      As I stated earlier I can not swap out props so once I buy it, it is mine to deal with. And up here in Canada it will be about $750US ($900Cdn)

It looks like Solas has changed the Scorpion prop slightly. It now comes with adjustable vents and a slightly longer (1/2" - 3/4") and flared barrel. I understand that the vents will make it easier to adjust hole shot but do you think the longer flared barrel will impact the general performance on the top? Been reading some reviews on the newer version and most still seem impressed but no real discussion on whether or it still performs like a bigger or more stiff prop.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Comment

Solas props in general are always very low on slip numbers.
                        Its not a good or bad thing, its just the way they make their props.
                        I'd still expect 2-5% slip

Ken Reeves
                        [email protected]
                        941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                        X