Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grady 209 - Suzuki 200 Re-Power-Prop?

Ken,
    I own a 2000 Grady White 209 (center console) currently powered by a 2001 Johnson Ocean Pro 175 hp. This boat holds about 80 gallons of fuel and generally there are three 200 lb guys on board. Additionally the boat has a custom made hard tee top and two batteries along with about another 150 lb's of misc. gear. Boat does 38 MPH at WOT with a Power Tech 15 pitch 3 blade prop, which was recommended and purchased from you. We are thinking about re-powering with a new 200 Suzuki and am wondering if I should order a SS Suzuki prop (which one?) or should I consider other brands (Mercury or Power Tech)? I am interested in a prop which would provide good overall performance and one capable of providing a low plane speed. I would like some suggestions from the information above if possible.

Thanks, Jersey Guy

If they give you a deal on Suzuki props with the motor, I'd go 16 x 18.5 3 blade.

If you want a lot of sternlift, I'd suggest a Powertech LFS4 in 19 pitch.

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken,
      I think a SS Suzuki prop will cost me about 500 dollars with the motor. What is your opinion on Suzuki props, are they as good as most other props? Do you think the Suzuki prop will perform as well as the Power Tech did on the Johnson as far as stern lift is concerned?

Thanks, Jersey Guy
      Last edited by Jersey Guy; 12-31-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Suzuki props are decent. They are made by Solas.
        They are very consistent, just not much of a selection on them. The 16 diameter 3 blade often does well, but if you want to change the characteristics you'll just end up needing to go with a different brand.
        I don't think the Suzuki 3 blade will give as much sternlift, but I prefer the Powertech 4 blade because it normally has better traction over the Suzuki prop.

Ken Reeves
        [email protected]
        941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks Ken,
          Will the Powertech 4 blade have the same speed WOT as the Suzuki 3 blade or is this the trade-off?
          Thanks, Jersey Guy

Comment

I've seen it keep up with the Suzuki 3 blade on top end, but normally I'd expect 2-4 MPH slower.

Ken Reeves
            [email protected]
            941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
                Suzuki props are decent. They are made by Solas.
                I was going to ask who makes props for various engine manufacturers or if they made theirs in house when you mentioned the above. How about other engine manufacturers, do they source their product or produce in house?

Comment

Solas made some of the props for Evinrude a well.
                  Powertech and Solas both make some props for Honda.
                  Yamaha actually bought the company that made their propellers. (precision propeller) a few years back. That company also made a few other brands, Turbo, Stiletto, and a few others. Now you'll see some Turbo props listed on yamaha's website, but availability seems scarce.
                  Mercury/quicksilver makes their own props.

Ken Reeves
                  [email protected]
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Ken,
                    Do you think a 3 blade Powertech prop will out perform the Suzuki 3x16x18.5? If so which one?
                    Thanks, Jersey Guy

Comment

I think they would run very similar to eachother.
                      the LFS3 19 pitch.

Ken Reeves
                      [email protected]
                      941-735-5808

Comment

Hi Ken,
                        The Suzuki dealer finally got our new 200 delivered and mounted on the boat. We went for a WOT test ride yesterday. With the 3x16x18.5 Suzuki prop you recommended. We were able to achieve 42 MPH right at 6100 RPM's with a full gas tank and two two hundred pound people along with some gear. I am very happy with the overall performance of this prop, my only concern is we are right at the maximum RPM's. If we run the boat a little lighter, say half a tank of gas instead of a full tank would that put the RPM's above the max? Dealer thinks we should try a Suzuki 3x16x20 prop. What's your thoughts Ken?
                        Thanks, Jersey Guy
                        Last edited by Jersey Guy; 03-16-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

How cold was it outside?
                          how much stuff do you plan to run most of the time?

bascially, that motor will turn a couple hundred RPM more and go a couple MPH faster on a cold 50 degree day, vs a hot summer day.
                          So if it was chilly outside, and you plan to load a little heavier then that most of the time, I'd say your perfect.

But with less fuel on a cold day, the 20 would definitely go faster.

Ken Reeves
                          [email protected]
                          941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ken. It was 60 degrees, we will sometimes be a little heavier sometimes a little lighter. Dealer says we may gain a few RPM's when the motor is fully broken in. The motor at WOT was actually a smidge above 6100RPM's but the limiter did not kick in. This is a harder decision then I thought it would be!

Comment

realistically, the 18.5 sounds perfect to me, and will be better suited for all around use, heavier loads and hot temperatures.

but I wouldn't be shocked if the 20 was one or two MPH faster given the test conditions.

Ken Reeves
                              [email protected]
                              941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                              X