Prop for Yamaha F250 3.3L (Aquasport 245 Explorer WAC)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prop for Yamaha F250 3.3L (Aquasport 245 Explorer WAC)

    Thanks for having me on the site!

    I have a 1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer Cuddy deep V. Dry weight of the boat is 4300. Just bought a 2012 Yamaha F250 3.3L. I am replacing a 1999 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro. Need some advice of the first prop to try. I was thinking a 15 1/2 by 17 or 19 pitch? I was leaning towards a 17 pitch. I just want to be able to come on plane without "plowing or struggling". I understand that my hole shot won't be as good with the Yamaha as it was with the Johnson.

    My current prop on the 225 Ocean Pro is a 17 pitch. My cruise is 30 mph at around 4000 rpm's. I know that doesn't help but looking for some advice.

    Thanks in advance!

    John

  • #2
    17"

    Comment


    • #3
      I would suggest a Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch.
      will have a little better traction and lift then the Saltwater series 17.

      But if your only choices are a 19 or 17 saltwater series, then yes, I agree with Massbay, go 17

      Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ken2 View Post
        I would suggest a Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch.
        will have a little better traction and lift then the Saltwater series 17.

        But if your only choices are a 19 or 17 saltwater series, then yes, I agree with Massbay, go 17
        Thanks Ken. Those are not my only choices I am just looking for advice. Would you think I would need a lower pitch?

        Comment


        • #5
          Will depend on speed.
          If the boat is going to run 41-44 MPH, a 17 pitch will be about right.
          if its a little slower, you may need less pitch.
          I'd try a 17 Q4 and see what happens.
          if you get one from me and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.

          Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ken2 View Post
            Will depend on speed.
            If the boat is going to run 41-44 MPH, a 17 pitch will be about right.
            if its a little slower, you may need less pitch.
            I'd try a 17 Q4 and see what happens.
            if you get one from me and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.
            So that would hopefully get me to where I need to be at max rpms which I think is around 6k for the f250 3.3? Not real worried about top speed. Usually cruise at around 28 to 30 mph. I would hope this setup would get me close to 40 top end.

            Thanks so much Ken! My motor is a counter rotating. I know I sound stupid, but will it come with the Yamaha hub? How do we get the ball rolling as far as price, etc.?

            Also, I will need the exact size of the prop that you suggest.
            Last edited by jdupree; 12-22-2020, 08:34 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Its 14.6 x 17, and you buy the hub separate, you can make it fit whatever motor you like.
              If you can get into the low 40's, you'll be able to turn close to 6000 RPM.
              if its slower, we may have to go with a lower pitch prop to get them up. (RPM and GPS speed are linked, you may not care about top speed, but to get the RPM correct on the top end, it depends on how fast you are going, not a good or bad thing, just the way it is)

              Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the response Ken. I will be back in touch via phone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was able to finally test the Q4 17 pitch prop out. I had 2 adults and my 17 and 11 year old daughter on board and about a half of tank of gas. The max rpms I could achieve was 5500 to 5600. That was giving me a speed of right at 40 mph. My cruise speed was 31 to 32 mph at 4400 to 4500 rpms and that was showing my fuel burn at 2.6 to 2.7 gph. Does this sound about right?

                  I did notice I had a vibration coming up on plane and when I was just barely in gear. Not sure if it's fuel related or not. When I bought the F250 it had been sitting for about 8 to 9 months. I did replace plugs but never went into the VST tank. Is there anyway to drain a sample of gas out of the VST, or am I better off just opening her up?

                  I feel like the prop will be perfect. Great hole shot and mid range response. It looks like you nailed it as usual Ken!

                  Others feel free to respond about the vibration. Just seems to do it when I am barely in gear and trying to get up on plane. Once on plane, never feel any kind of vibration.

                  Any chance that size prop would cause a little vibration?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If your fuel burn #'s at cruise are correct, you need to gold plate that prop. That's awesome.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have my gps tied in with my Command link Gauges. That is what the gauge is showing. I am really happy with those numbers especially coming from a Johnson 225 2 stroke.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sorry, I hadn't checked here in a couple days.
                        We are having Bob, at Admiral Propeller in Tampa check the balance on Johns Q4 17, and putting a Solas hub kit in it. The 203B.
                        That hub will solve the rattle at idle speeds.
                        and Bob at Admiral Propeller will check the balance and make sure it looks good.

                        Ken Reeves
                        [email protected]
                        941-735-5808

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Big shoutout to Ken! He said that the prop was out of balance and he covered that as well as the shipping back to me with a quick turn around. He also sent me another hub kit. Top notch customer service!

                          I have not run it yet but I am sure it will be fine. The Q4 is a perfect match for my hull.

                          Thanks again Ken!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jdupree View Post
                            I was able to finally test the Q4 17 pitch prop out. I had 2 adults and my 17 and 11 year old daughter on board and about a half of tank of gas. The max rpms I could achieve was 5500 to 5600. That was giving me a speed of right at 40 mph. My cruise speed was 31 to 32 mph at 4400 to 4500 rpms and that was showing my fuel burn at 2.6 to 2.7 gph. Does this sound about right?

                            I did notice I had a vibration coming up on plane and when I was just barely in gear. Not sure if it's fuel related or not. When I bought the F250 it had been sitting for about 8 to 9 months. I did replace plugs but never went into the VST tank. Is there anyway to drain a sample of gas out of the VST, or am I better off just opening her up?

                            I feel like the prop will be perfect. Great hole shot and mid range response. It looks like you nailed it as usual Ken!

                            Others feel free to respond about the vibration. Just seems to do it when I am barely in gear and trying to get up on plane. Once on plane, never feel any kind of vibration.

                            Any chance that size prop would cause a little vibration?
                            My numbers should be a little better than I reported above. During the test run, I had 1 cylinder not firing due the the pencil coil not making contact with the plug. I am guessing I will see WOT right a 6k now and cruise should be a little better.

                            Appears prop is the perfect match for the hull/motor. Thanks Ken!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here are the final numbers.

                              WOT was 6000 rpms with a top speed of 47mph.
                              Cruise is 32 mph at 4400 rpms and showing fuel burn of 2.7 gallons per hour.
                              Hole shot and mid range acceleration excellent with this prop!
                              Thanks Ken!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X