Prop for Yamaha F250 3.3L (Aquasport 245 Explorer WAC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop for Yamaha F250 3.3L (Aquasport 245 Explorer WAC)

Thanks for having me on the site!

I have a 1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer Cuddy deep V. Dry weight of the boat is 4300. Just bought a 2012 Yamaha F250 3.3L. I am replacing a 1999 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro. Need some advice of the first prop to try. I was thinking a 15 1/2 by 17 or 19 pitch? I was leaning towards a 17 pitch. I just want to be able to come on plane without "plowing or struggling". I understand that my hole shot won't be as good with the Yamaha as it was with the Johnson.

My current prop on the 225 Ocean Pro is a 17 pitch. My cruise is 30 mph at around 4000 rpm's. I know that doesn't help but looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

John

17"

Comment

I would suggest a Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch.
      will have a little better traction and lift then the Saltwater series 17.

But if your only choices are a 19 or 17 saltwater series, then yes, I agree with Massbay, go 17

Ken Reeves
      [email protected]
      941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
        I would suggest a Quicksilver Q4 17 pitch.
        will have a little better traction and lift then the Saltwater series 17.

But if your only choices are a 19 or 17 saltwater series, then yes, I agree with Massbay, go 17
        Thanks Ken. Those are not my only choices I am just looking for advice. Would you think I would need a lower pitch?

Comment

Will depend on speed.
          If the boat is going to run 41-44 MPH, a 17 pitch will be about right.
          if its a little slower, you may need less pitch.
          I'd try a 17 Q4 and see what happens.
          if you get one from me and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
            Will depend on speed.
            If the boat is going to run 41-44 MPH, a 17 pitch will be about right.
            if its a little slower, you may need less pitch.
            I'd try a 17 Q4 and see what happens.
            if you get one from me and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.
            So that would hopefully get me to where I need to be at max rpms which I think is around 6k for the f250 3.3? Not real worried about top speed. Usually cruise at around 28 to 30 mph. I would hope this setup would get me close to 40 top end.

Thanks so much Ken! My motor is a counter rotating. I know I sound stupid, but will it come with the Yamaha hub? How do we get the ball rolling as far as price, etc.?

Also, I will need the exact size of the prop that you suggest.
            Last edited by jdupree; 12-22-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Its 14.6 x 17, and you buy the hub separate, you can make it fit whatever motor you like.
              If you can get into the low 40's, you'll be able to turn close to 6000 RPM.
              if its slower, we may have to go with a lower pitch prop to get them up. (RPM and GPS speed are linked, you may not care about top speed, but to get the RPM correct on the top end, it depends on how fast you are going, not a good or bad thing, just the way it is)

Ken Reeves
              [email protected]
              941-735-5808

Comment

Thanks for the response Ken. I will be back in touch via phone.

Comment

Working...
                X