Prop recommendation. KW 186CC with 115 Mercury CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop recommendation. KW 186CC with 115 Mercury CT

Hello - I have a 2006 Key West 186 Sportsman with a 2016 Mercury 115hp FourStroke CT. I currently have a 19p Black Max aluminum prop.

Does anyone have suggestions on props? I am primarily looking for good all-around performance.

will depend on how you load the boat, how much gear, batteries, people you normally carry.
    Do you have a Ttop?
    what is your wide open RPM and GPS speed with the 19 pitch you have now?

I'd expect 35-37 with a normal load, and with a super light load, some guys can get right around 40.
    of Mercury props, I'd go Quicksilver Q3, same prop as the Mercury Enertia, and try 16 pitch if you load up with a couple people, 17 pitch if you run light.
    those from me are 599
    less expensive option that is still a great prop would be the Powertech PTZ3, cost $329, I'd suggest the same pitches.
    cost 329

Ken Reeves
    [email protected]
    941-735-5808

Comment

Ken - Thank you for the response. We do have a TTop, as well as a trolling motor with two batteries in the console. We typically have two adults and two kids cruising, or 2-3 adults fishing with livewell full.

My tachometer reads a touch high, but next time out I will check my top RPM and MPH via vessel view.

Thanks again.

Comment

Had a chance to run today, but was only able to test a small amount as we were out with family.

Ran 6120 RPM at WOT at 33.4 MPH. Passenger weight was about 500 lbs plus a full livewell. This run was with the wind at our backs with a light chop.

Is the 16 pitch Q3 the way to go?

Comment

Yes, I think the 16 Q3 would be a great all around prop.

Ken Reeves
          [email protected]
          941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaTom View Post
            Had a chance to run today, but was only able to test a small amount as we were out with family.

Ran 6120 RPM at WOT at 33.4 MPH. Passenger weight was about 500 lbs plus a full livewell. This run was with the wind at our backs with a light chop.

Is the 16 pitch Q3 the way to go?
            How many family members on the boat? I thought you'd be able to get 35 MPH on that boat with that RPM and a full load. I had a 186 Sea Hunt, no T Top and with a full load we'd hit 35 all day, 40-41 with a light load and 6000 RPM F115

Comment

We had two adults with four kids. I ran again today with just my son and we hit 39.5 at 6040. I think I likely wasnt fully trimmed out the other day, but I only tried once that day.

Comment

Its good that you got to 39.5 and you'd need a 17 Q3 to get there. (and a light load)
                but if your normally running with a heavier load, I'd go 16.
                You probably won't hit 40 with a 16, but it will feel more powerful throughout the RPM range when you have the load you normally run.

Ken Reeves
                [email protected]
                941-735-5808

Comment

Ken - Thanks again for the feedback. I think the 16 sounds perfect., We normally have a heavier load and would prefer power throughout the RPM range rather than high end speed. I will reach out soon to make the purchase.

Comment

After talking with Ken I went with the 18p Q3. I had a chance to run solo today and it felt great. Really strong out of the home and great bite when accelerating underway. Ran at 6050 at 41mph. I am looking forward to having a full load and seeing how it runs.

The only downside is that I now have prop chatter below 1000 RPM. I am going to remove and reinstall to see if that helps.

Comment

Thanks for following up ! glad it ran well.

Ken Reeves
                      [email protected]
                      941-735-5808

Comment

Ken - I am still having prop chatter at low RPMs with the new prop. Should I switch to a Flo Torq 4 to eliminate this? If so, are there multiple part numbers for the Flo Torq 4?

Thanks,
                        Tom

Comment

they don't make the flo torq 4 anymore, although there are people with them still in stock.

Mercury now has the SSR hub. Cost $95 from me, I have them.
                          if you get it and it doesn't stop the chatter, I'll take it back.

Ken Reeves
                          [email protected]
                          941-735-5808

Comment

Working...
                          X