Marine vinyl flooring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine vinyl flooring

Anyone have experience with vinyl floor covering?

Boat is in the shed for several pre-season projects and one of the next up is to replace shitty carpeting the builder installed in my under gunwale rod trays with Nautilex vinyl.

I have Nautliex 88 adhesive to put it down. I will have to have seams in the vinyl to make the full length of the trays. Is the proper way to attempt some kind of fold under for the overlapping piece, should I try to just butt the pieces together, or should I over-lap with no fold?

I done some projects with this before, but none where I ever had to worry about a visible seam.

I don't have any info for you, but I'm very interested in the advice you get.
    I'm going to be putting vinyl flooring down on my boat sometime soon.

Ken Reeves
    KR@Propgods.com
    941-735-5808

Comment

Vinyl flooring in a boat?

Comment

This product: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=23612

Fairly common in aluminum jon boats and I believe some pontoon boats. Probably rarely ever used in glass boats.

I've had it in my last 3 tin boats. I really like it because it's tough as nails, easy to clean (pressure washer), easy on bare feet, and unlike rhino-lining and other spray on type applications, it weighs basically nothing.

I'll do some further research when I get to this. First I wanna focus on getting my trolling motor installed and running.

Comment

I had been looking at this stuff for my Tritoon
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Viny...5Z84ug&vxp=mtr

No clue if its great or garbage, but thats the look I was going for, and its cheap.

Ken Reeves
          KR@Propgods.com
          941-735-5808

Comment

how thick is this stuff and how does it compare to seadeck and the like?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that product Ken. I'm curious how thick the padding is? It looks a lot like Seadek installed.

All the projects I've done myself with marine vinyl have been smaller things, never tackled an entire floor.

Is your tritoon floor plywood? If so, are you planning to pull everything off the deck and wrap the entire top & edges of each sheet?

I finished my gunwale trays project. I just butted the pieces to make the seams. Before gluing, I overlapped the 2 pieces and then cut thru both so the mating edges were identical. It worked out OK. One seam I can find readily, the other is nearly invisible. This vinyl didn't have any "fabric" on the back side like stuff I've used in the past so I didn't have to worry about a bunch of hairy threads and trying to hide them from sticking thru at the seam.

I did like working with the Nautilex 88 adhesive. Very forgiving in that you had some time to pull the vinyl back up and reposition if needed. No way I woulda wanted to try to tackle what I just did with a contact cement. Hopefully the Nautilex adhesive will hold up long term.

I'll also throw in a pic of my front deck that I did with Seadek. I just bought sheets and did all the cutting myself. Not fun!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	43536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	43537

Comment

Didn't mean to sound like manitunc's echo. We clearly had the same thoughts and were typing at the same time. Just I type veeerry sloooww.

Comment

I have no clue how thick that ebay stuff is. I see the teak looking flooring in a lot of pontoon boats.
                  My Tritoon has a plywood floor.
                  When I get around to doing this project, I had planned on taking everything off the deck.
                  Buying that stuff, and just putting it down in one big roll.
                  Probably be next year before I ever get to do it.

The odd part of the Ebay stuff, when you zoom in, it has a fabric appearance. Like woven vinyl.. weird.. Maybe I'll buy one Ft of it just to see what it like.

Ken Reeves
                  KR@Propgods.com
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post
                    I have no clue how thick that ebay stuff is. I see the teak looking flooring in a lot of pontoon boats.
                    My Tritoon has a plywood floor.
                    When I get around to doing this project, I had planned on taking everything off the deck.
                    Buying that stuff, and just putting it down in one big roll.
                    Probably be next year before I ever get to do it.

The odd part of the Ebay stuff, when you zoom in, it has a fabric appearance. Like woven vinyl.. weird.. Maybe I'll buy one Ft of it just to see what it like.
                    We had Infinity woven flooring on our Bennington tri-toon and we loved it. It's the same stuff used in high end RV's, I think polypropylene with a little pad underneath. Soft underfoot, doesn't stain, dirt washes right off. Even our 85# lab couldn't wreck it with his claws. Just be careful to buy a lighter color in FL as it can get pretty hot.

Comment

Originally posted by TomS View Post

We had Infinity woven flooring on our Bennington tri-toon and we loved it. It's the same stuff used in high end RV's, I think polypropylene with a little pad underneath. Soft underfoot, doesn't stain, dirt washes right off. Even our 85# lab couldn't wreck it with his claws. Just be careful to buy a lighter color in FL as it can get pretty hot.
                      Well that sounds awesome ! I feel more confident about getting that stuff now.

I'm guessing its not the best stuff for cutting and putting custom pieces down for a custom look like Duckfish is doing.

Ken Reeves
                      KR@Propgods.com
                      941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post

Well that sounds awesome ! I feel more confident about getting that stuff now.

I'm guessing its not the best stuff for cutting and putting custom pieces down for a custom look like Duckfish is doing.
                        Good luck, Bennington called this "Seagrass" but it's sort of generic term now. Infinity is the manufacturer.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Mar...arine-Flooring

Comment

Working...
                        X