Sick of the bimini top - but trying to hold the budget. Suggestions and reports!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of the bimini top - but trying to hold the budget. Suggestions and reports!

Active day for me here.

So lets have it. I want a T-top, with an E-box and 4-5 rod-holders

I've been looking at the Stryker t-top for it's ease of installation - and because the SG600 just looks really nice with it's curves and handles. Price wise i'll have it at my door with the E-box with speakers for about 2k.

Locally there is a Fishmaster dealer that'll handle the install for me (which is always nice) and i can be in and out with the full package for less than 2k

I've read about the dolphin tops but don't see anything that makes them better or worse than the other two.

I've read good and bad reviews on all of the "one-size fits all" tops. But i've heard some pretty high numbers on custom top creation as well... So if custom is the only way to go, recommendations around the Sarasota area would be appreciated!

So here's the poll - what did you use? What do you like, and what don't you like.

This will be going on an '86 Mako 20c (leaning post is needed too - that cooler seat is a piece of junk and is way too low to be functional.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	657.2 KB
ID:	35231

Attached Files
    Dolphin Top
    0%
    Fishmaster Top
    0%
    Stryker Top
    50.00%
    Custom t-top (donations accepted)
    50.00%
    - Eazy Life

I would think you could be in one for around 2- 2.5k.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

There seems to be lots of used ones around if you spend some time looking. Since I know nothing about the others you mention, I'll refrain from voting.

Comment

Got a customer/friend had one made in Perry. I'll try and remember to ask him what it approximately cost next time he is in. He also had a store bought/fit all per say on his boat before this. He was not happy with it at all. Not familiar with name of it and could have been a el cheapo.

Comment

Can't vote either because idk.

Wonder if any of those custom builders have slack times of the year where maybe you could get a better deal???
          Imagine Parker, Carrigan or someone else in business could direct you in regards to that.
          Personally never was much for a ttop under 20-22'. Bimini was better for me, but I here ya—get what works best for you.

Did have a cooler seat on an Aquasport once, and you're correct—they really are low. For me, only good for flipping other way at the sandbar.
          Should be able to find a variety of leaning posts, both new and used on Internet.

Very nice looking Mako BTW!!!
          '12 Blackwood - 300 VRods
          '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
          '18 Fountain 38 - in production

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
            Can't vote either because idk.

Wonder if any of those custom builders have slack times of the year where maybe you could get a better deal???
            Imagine Parker, Carrigan or someone else in business could direct you in regards to that.
            Personally never was much for a ttop under 20-22'. Bimini was better for me, but I here ya—get what works best for you.

Did have a cooler seat on an Aquasport once, and you're correct—they really are low. For me, only good for flipping other way at the sandbar.
            Should be able to find a variety of leaning posts, both new and used on Internet.

Very nice looking Mako BTW!!!
            Thanks for the compliment

maybe i I need to stretch my search area for custom guys. I read about a shop in Oldsmar with a good reputation. The name escapes me now.
            - Eazy Life

Comment

I had a Stryker 600 on my Action Craft 21'. I found it to be easy to install, parts fit and very good quality. In fact, my mechanic asked me about it and when I told him the price he was stunned and could not have one built for twice the cost. They use 2" tubing, so its pretty strong, and the folding fittings are very solid. the only real issue I have heard about is delivery times. It seems they wait until they get a full container load of orders before they ship from China. Mine had the E-box with speakers, which they gave me for free when delivery was delayed, and a 5 rod rocket launcher which they also threw in. The actual canopy area is small, which can be a positive on a small boat.

Now, Ive got a lead on a used top for my Seacraft. Hope it works out. Tough to find ones that mount to the console as they have to be close in size to work. Much easier to find floor mount tops.

Comment

Originally posted by manitunc View Post
                I had a Stryker 600 on my Action Craft 21'. I found it to be easy to install, parts fit and very good quality. In fact, my mechanic asked me about it and when I told him the price he was stunned and could not have one built for twice the cost. They use 2" tubing, so its pretty strong, and the folding fittings are very solid. the only real issue I have heard about is delivery times. It seems they wait until they get a full container load of orders before they ship from China. Mine had the E-box with speakers, which they gave me for free when delivery was delayed, and a 5 rod rocket launcher which they also threw in. The actual canopy area is small, which can be a positive on a small boat.

Now, Ive got a lead on a used top for my Seacraft. Hope it works out. Tough to find ones that mount to the console as they have to be close in size to work. Much easier to find floor mount tops.
                I see that Stryker (and the others) make some attachment parts so you can through bolt it to the console as well as the floor for extra stability. I figured that was pretty much a requirement.

And you're right on the small canopy area. As it is I rarely put the bimini up, especially when fishing. It's mostly for when i'm parked at the sandbar to keep our belongings and such out of the sun. But getting an E-box and space for a T-bag will help with deck space and de-clutter the console.
                Last edited by JerEazy; 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM.
                - Eazy Life

Comment

When talking about adding a t-bag, remember to get one tall enough.

Comment

I didn't vote, but here are two more one size fits all to check out.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_tiab.php

http://www.boattowers.com/TTops.htm

I rarely put my bimini top up too. In Maryland I enjoy the warmth of the sun, but some summer days it's a must.

I've been thinking of adding this Suntop to my DC. The yellow Sea Hunt with "wollop" on the side is exactly like my boat, so I know what it would look like on mine.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_suntop2.php
                    22' Sea Hunt Escape
                    Yamaha F225

Comment

Originally posted by Slough View Post
                      When talking about adding a t-bag, remember to get one tall enough.
                      Rgr that - thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Halfmoon View Post
                      I didn't vote, but here are two more one size fits all to check out.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_tiab.php

http://www.boattowers.com/TTops.htm

I rarely put my bimini top up too. In Maryland I enjoy the warmth of the sun, but some summer days it's a must.

I've been thinking of adding this Suntop to my DC. The yellow Sea Hunt with "wollop" on the side is exactly like my boat, so I know what it would look like on mine.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_suntop2.php
                      Thanks for the extra ideas!

- Eazy Life

Comment

Working...
                      X