Canvas sewing machine recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canvas sewing machine recommendations

    Hello everyone,

    I have a metal fabrication business I'm working on getting started and was also considering looking into some canvas work to go with it. I've made some small things in the past for my personal boat but wanted to get an idea of what would be a good machine to purchase if I intend to do this as part of my business. So far the estimates that I have been given for the things I want done on my own boat rebuild is pushing $10,000. Full enclosure, bolsters, cabin cushions and other things. I figure my own boat rebuild will be a good learning experience and I am looking to go take some training on canvas fabrication. I have looked at a bunch of the machines out there and wanted to see what everyone's experience is with some of the sewing machines. I have been looking at many posts and reading reviews online. Sailrite seems to be up there. I want to make sure that I don't have to buy things twice if I can avoid it.

    Any suggestions would be great!

  • #2
    Call a canvas repair or Sail shop and ask what they use.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sailrite Fabricator - item # 400500.

      That setup has the Servo Motor with a treadle control. I have a smaller Sailrite with the Servo Motor and tredle. One quick step and I can drop a single stitch, then reposition my work. Or if needed, hold it down and get a long run stitch completed. If that had been available when I bought mine, I would own it. The Fabricator also has a longer arm to get more material under through the machine. I completely restitched a Jeep top on my machine. The extra space would have been helpful. If I did a boat cover, then heck yeah, more space. The Fabricator may eliminate the need for bobbin winding. I don’t think the Fabricator will do Zig Zag stitches used for Sails.

      You can also check out Sailrites You Tube channel for lots of information.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the info. There are actually very few canvas shops here. What is the difference between the standard ls-1 and the servo motor?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Johnnyv49 View Post
          Thanks for the info. There are actually very few canvas shops here. What is the difference between the standard ls-1 and the servo motor?
          Control. When you release the power the needle stops. My setup uses the table pictured with the model in my original post. You can literally set a single stitch with that setup. Which I find useful. The Servo motor and that table incorporate a treadle to control the machine as it stitches. I never really mastered fine control of the foot pedal used with the standard motor.


          Comment


          • #6
            OK so after reading about every machine in existence, I'm still debating on pressing the buy button on the Sailrite. Does anyone have thoughts on these knockoff machines like the REX? I see people buy them and then add the monster wheel for good results. I'm I just looing at this too much and going to have an issue to save a few hundred bucks? Anyone have experience with the knockoff machines? Need a little direction.

            With what I want to do on my own boat im looking at $8000 to $10000 for a canvas shop to make it plus about 6 months lead time. Im looking at the LS-1 Premium.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Johnnyv49 View Post
              OK so after reading about every machine in existence, I'm still debating on pressing the buy button on the Sailrite. Does anyone have thoughts on these knockoff machines like the REX? I see people buy them and then add the monster wheel for good results. I'm I just looing at this too much and going to have an issue to save a few hundred bucks? Anyone have experience with the knockoff machines? Need a little direction.

              With what I want to do on my own boat im looking at $8000 to $10000 for a canvas shop to make it plus about 6 months lead time. Im looking at the LS-1 Premium.
              So what type of welder do you use in your business - Millermatic, Lincoln, or Harbor Freight. Do you really want the knock off?
              I should say I only know about the Sailrite brand. I am aware of the Juki and Consew brands but have not used them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CNC Boater View Post

                So what type of welder do you use in your business - Millermatic, Lincoln, or Harbor Freight. Do you really want the knock off?
                I should say I only know about the Sailrite brand. I am aware of the Juki and Consew brands but have not used them.
                Exactly. The old saying there is the “price” of an item then there is the “cost” of that item. Price being what you pay to purchase it. The cost being what it costs you in upgrades, repairs, down time, manufacturing problems, etc that have to be added to the price!!! Most of the time you do “get what you pay for “!
                95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
                Seaford, De
                Curtis

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks...welding comment hit home lol. No WAKE, Thanks for the reality check. Very true. Sailrite it is. Ill update on the outcomes while learning this!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X