2010 Mercury 115HP Optimax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Mercury 115HP Optimax

I have noticed that my motor a few times drops RPM down from 5200/5500 to 4000 and the boat slows considerably when I am at WOT. It doesn't do it all of the time. I can then bring boat to neutral and then open it up again and it goes back to 5200-5500 rpms. I know when I over trim and hit rev limiter I lose all power. The boat is a 22 foot Fisher on 25 inch pontoons with 4 people and a full tank of gas. I run a SS 13p 13 3/4D Solas Rebex NS3 prop. Recent changes was I raised my motor up one notch which did increase my RPMs and speed a bit. Could I be grabbing air and need to go down a notch? WOT RPM for the boat is 5000-5500. When I first raised it i went to 5800-6000 RPM but the second time I took it out it seemed to settle around 5200-5500. Trimming the motor doesn't affect the RPMs at all nor engine sound that I can tell.

Long time ago I was a fisher/mercury boat dealer. Did not sell a lot of pontoons, salt water dealer.
    You didn't say anything about acceleration or rough running so it sounds like fuel starvation.
    I would change on motor fuel filters and test drive on a separate 6 gal fuel tank and fuel line.

Comment

Thanks Massbay.... The engine purrs like a kitten and seems to accelerate well. I pulled the spark plugs and they were black with carbon but not too bad. They have 2 summers on them. I have checked air filter and I looked to see if there was water to drain from below fuel filter. Nothing came out. Fuel filter looked clean but I am going to change it out and try the separate tank and fuel line. It doesn't seem that its a rev limiter issue too me. If it was rev limiter wouldn't i lose complete power. I am finally at max RPM with this motor height.

Motor is a 2010 Mercury 115 Optimax DFI sitting on a 22 foot 2003 Fisher pontoon with 25 inch pontoons. I am at the upper limit of RPM and so i might play around with an increase to a 14P prop.

Comment

If you hit the rev limit you'll know it. motor really skips very badly.
        merc had an issue with the grey fuel lines going from tank to motor, causing a fuel flow issue.

Comment

Drain hole was clogged in VST tank. Water separator was about 1/3 full. I unclogged the drain and drained it. Replacing hose and primer bulb Friday. Hope to take it our Saturday and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Did changing the primer bulb end up helping?

Primer-bulb-wont-get-hard

Comment

Working...
            X