UOA: 2019 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO - Amsoil Marine 10W-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided that fuel injectors is a very good place to start. While it's not uncommon for leaky injectors, I didn't think it was likely given their age. What I didn't expect was an injector that was defective. It didn't leak but the spray pattern is so far off of the others, that this being the root cause is probably. I've ordered and new injector and once it arrives it will get the same test to make sure it's functioning like the other three. The first picture shows the odd spray pattern compared to the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7558.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	66806 \
    Feathering

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7559.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	66808
    Leak Test

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7561.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	66810
    Static Volume Test

Click image for larger version

Name:	Static flow rate for 15 seconds @ 3 bar.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	66813
    Static flow rate for 15 seconds @ 3 bar
    Attached Files

Comment

New injector has arrived and tested and now I have a set of 4 that match. Time to install it and go riding (after the boat show)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191121_114246.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	66892
      Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the ANSU injector cleaning machine?
        Andrew Munao Jr
        Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
        888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
          Do you have the ANSU injector cleaning machine?
          I don't personally, there is a guy 10 min from me that does though and he knows his stuff. Processes thousands of injectors a month. Why do you ask?

Comment

That spray pattern looks great, to my untrained eyes, I think you know much about engine's, this computers stuff still throws me for a loop.

Post more often, we all can learn something here, kind of what this site is about.

BWP

Comment

I looked into injector cleaning. It certainly works. Most automotive shops will throw new injectors in rather than tie up a bay for a few days. Marine..you guys have different circumstances.

After 50 years of racing, auto and truck work, inboard boat stuff, I've never seen a catastrophic failure from "the wrong oil" .. Scuffed pistons, worn distributor drives from too heavy an oil. It's like small oil filters..if you NEED an oil filter, you already have a serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post
                I looked into injector cleaning. It certainly works. Most automotive shops will throw new injectors in rather than tie up a bay for a few days. Marine..you guys have different circumstances.

After 50 years of racing, auto and truck work, inboard boat stuff, I've never seen a catastrophic failure from "the wrong oil" .. Scuffed pistons, worn distributor drives from too heavy an oil. It's like small oil filters..if you NEED an oil filter, you already have a serious problem.
                Not trying to debate, however, "need" is an interesting case with a pressurized oil system these days. The oil passages are small enough that metal can easily restrict them and cause catastrophic failure. Most certainly it will cause premature wear so with an engine that see's sustained high RPM's it's imperative that the oil is clean.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
                  That spray pattern looks great, to my untrained eyes, I think you know much about engine's, this computers stuff still throws me for a loop.

Post more often, we all can learn something here, kind of what this site is about.

BWP
                  Thanks for the comment. If you look to the right, it's not as it "fans" out quite a bit. As much as I'd like to say it's placebo effect, it's not as yesterday I took the ski out and to say it runs smoother is a sever understatement. Also, it didn't have any sort of starting issue either. I think I should help Yamaha.

Comment

Originally posted by jtw18 View Post

Not trying to debate, however, "need" is an interesting case with a pressurized oil system these days. The oil passages are small enough that metal can easily restrict them and cause catastrophic failure. Most certainly it will cause premature wear so with an engine that see's sustained high RPM's it's imperative that the oil is clean.
                    True, but if you have metal in the oil, you already have problem.

Comment

True, but if you have metal in the oil, you already have problem.
                      There is always some sort of metal content in your oil.

Comment

There is always some sort of metal content in your oil.
                        Not mine, and certainly not visible or filterable. Look at magnets in lower units...they get fuzzy, but hardly enough to plug up even a tiny filter, if they had one. Engines simply do not "wear" or "break in" anymore.

Comment

Not mine, and certainly not visible or filterable. Look at magnets in lower units...they get fuzzy, but hardly enough to plug up even a tiny filter, if they had one. Engines simply do not "wear" or "break in" anymore.
                          That's really not true. If you do an oil analysis, you will see it. Also, if you cut your oil filter open as I've shown; you will also then see the metal that is greater than 20 microns. Aluminum and Stainless (and many other Non-Ferrous metals) will not stick to your magnets.

Comment

Isn’t Amsoil related to Amway? None for me, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post
                              Isn’t Amsoil related to Amway? None for me, thanks.
                              No, they are not, other than the first 2 letters of the names.
                              Sanibel FL
                              Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

That's really not true. If you do an oil analysis, you will see it. Also, if you cut your oil filter open as I've shown; you will also then see the metal that is greater than 20 microns. Aluminum and Stainless (and many other Non-Ferrous metals) will not stick to your magnets.
                                True, but 20 microns passes thru all oil passages and lubed surfaces without damage. Even a small filter will catch those, if the filter medium is fine enough. There's a point at which further filtering is overkill. Like oil. You can put premium gas in a low compression engine, but why?

Comment

Working...
                                X