advice for throttle/shift control replacement for Merc I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for throttle/shift control replacement for Merc I/O

Hey guys I currently have a Quicksilver 3000 series throttle/shift control in our 94/95 Caravell 1900 BR with 5.0LX 4bbl Alpha 1 Gen2 outdrive. I`m looking for a suitable replacement. So far there are not many repair parts and selecting a replacement isnt that easy bc I`m reading newer shifters use Gen2 cables. not a problem if I knew the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 cables. I know the cable ends are different where they attach at the control box, question is what do I have now Gen 1 or gen 2. I can tell you that the cable ends on theis boat at the box are eyelets that require a small screw to secure to the arms within the box. next question is what shifter/throttle do I go with... def side panel mount but what will work? Thanks

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post
    Hey guys I currently have a Quicksilver 3000 series throttle/shift control in our 94/95 Caravell 1900 BR with 5.0LX 4bbl Alpha 1 Gen2 outdrive. I`m looking for a suitable replacement. So far there are not many repair parts and selecting a replacement isnt that easy bc I`m reading newer shifters use Gen2 cables. not a problem if I knew the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 cables. I know the cable ends are different where they attach at the control box, question is what do I have now Gen 1 or gen 2. I can tell you that the cable ends on theis boat at the box are eyelets that require a small screw to secure to the arms within the box. next question is what shifter/throttle do I go with... def side panel mount but what will work? Thanks
    Generally speaking OEM controls are better.
    You would have Gen 1.
    I will find out the difference between I & II Generations.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

From what I understand the Quicksilver 3000 is no longer available, and repair parts are sparce at best, hence why I'm looking to replace.

Comment

The short answer is, if you cannot located a Gen 1 control box, you will need to install a Gen II AND replace the cables.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
          The short answer is, if you cannot located a Gen 1 control box, you will need to install a Gen II AND replace the cables.
          yep.
          I`m thinking the cable sheathing attachments to the box are different. on my cables I see black barrels surrounding the sheathing as a means of pivoting/holding to the rear most edge of the box. The newer box has slots and the Gen 2 cable sheathing looks different in that location... am I getting warmer, lol!
          I did see a few Mercruiser Gen 2 controls on Amazon... in any choice they would have to be wired in for the neutral safety and trim buttons.

Comment

Ole, like this or similar> https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/me...xoCa_QQAvD_BwE

Comment

a bit confusing, some remotes say mercruiser/mercury and select outbords, some just say select outboards... are there I/O only remotes IDK sigh.

Comment

a bit confusing, some remotes say mercruiser/mercury and select outbords, some just say select outboards... are there I/O only remotes IDK sigh.
                The thing that you need to check, is either that the control is swapable, from port to starboard, depending on your helm position, or that is is port or starboard and whether is is "Push" to open throttle or "pull" to open throttle plate. Your engine will tell you that, pull the cowling and push or pull the throttle plate to open throttle.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Yes, the OG control is push for throttle open. starboard side helm. I have seen this same controller advertised in the opposite position from that link I provided. And another site where it's pictured unassembled. I have a question into the seller, so we'll see what they reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X