NEW!!!! 2019 Mercury 90 HP Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW!!!! 2019 Mercury 90 HP Problem

The motor will be going to dealer next week to be fixed but wanted some thoughts on what problem is.

2019 Mercury 90 hp new motor, First trip on boat, motor has less than 10 minutes run time.

1. Unloaded boat and let motor idle while parking truck. motor ran fine.
    2. Got in boat and ran motor at 1/2 throttle for less than 5 minutes. motor ran fine
    3. Turned motor off and messed with Lowrance fishfinder for 10 minutes.
    4. Cranked motor and shifted into forward motor turns off.
    5. Cranked motor and shifted into reverse motor turns off.
    6. Cranked motor and revved up motor while not in gear no problem
    7. Let motor idle back down to normal and put into forward motor turns off.
    8. Checked all fuel lines and gas tank for issues but none found
    9. Used trolling motor to get back to landing and loaded boat.
    10. Got home put boat in my garage and poured myself a Wild Turkey drink!!

Your thoughts!!! Tell me its not something stupid I overlooked.

Thanks

nobody???

Comment

Wondering if the rigging was set up correctly from helm to motor. 80% of the time issues are related to fuel or fuel delivery but that is hard to imagine on a brand new motor.

Comment

Sumtin ain't right.
        Was boat seatrialed at delivery?
        Neutral safety? Doubtful. Hmmmmm.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

All my boats in past have had a fuel primer bulb on them on fuel line. This boat doesn't have one, just fuel line from plastic tank to motor. I've read where folks are saying new motors don't require them anymore. Are you guys leaving the primer bubs off fuel lines now days??? That's a new one of me if so.

Comment

I've heard no bulb necessary as well, so---do you turn the key to pump fuel prior to quick starting?

Good luck!
            BWP

Comment

Probably has a fuel demand valve. Does the boat go at all in forward or reverse before it dies or is it instant?

Is this a new boat or just a new motor?

I also wonder if it was seatrialed at delivery.

Either way your dealer should get you situated.

Comment

You clearly have the problem under control.
                Wild Turkey to the rescue.
                Jupiter 31FS / Verado 300s in Fiji - V8's on order
                Haines 2100SO / Verado 300 Pro in NZ

Comment

The new FSM's on Mercury's can't use a primer bulb. The way they are designed, a primer bulb would be useless.

That is so odd to die going into either gear, but idles fine in neutral. I wonder also if this was sea-trialed at all after the install. Time to take it back to the Merc dealer and have them look at it and scan it with G3.
                  Andrew Munao Jr
                  Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                  888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Have you taken the cowling off to see what's going on upon shifting?
                    2017 Tidewater 1910 Bay
                    2017 Evinrude 150ho (G1)

Comment

Ok guys let the dealer bashing begin, LOL!!!!!!

The problem with the motor shutting off when put in gear was the prop was seized up in lower unit. The prop was like 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch inside foot. Guy had to beat prop off lower unit with rubber hammer. When in neutral you couldn't turn prop.I can't make this up!!! Once prop was off motor would run and shift fine without going dead. My guess is wrong washer or wrong prop was used. Dealer is ordering new prop and bringing boat to me when fixed. What are chances there may be hidden damage and what should watch for other than vibration and noise???

Does anyone else have my kind of luck??

Comment

WoW! Initial inspection not thorough enough or not completed, glad that the dealer knows this.
                        Thanks for sharing!

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by mgnic View Post
                          Ok guys let the dealer bashing begin, LOL!!!!!!

The problem with the motor shutting off when put in gear was the prop was seized up in lower unit. The prop was like 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch inside foot. Guy had to beat prop off lower unit with rubber hammer. When in neutral you couldn't turn prop.I can't make this up!!! Once prop was off motor would run and shift fine without going dead. My guess is wrong washer or wrong prop was used. Dealer is ordering new prop and bringing boat to me when fixed. What are chances there may be hidden damage and what should watch for other than vibration and noise???

Does anyone else have my kind of luck??

I would check to see if the prop wore on the lower unit casing.
                          Sounds like they might have forgotten the thrust washer?
                          Engine Sales and Service
                          Ph +1 954.463.1515
                          Fx +1
                          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
                          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

This thread is just another reminder to me to never overlook the simpler things. Sometimes its very hard to diagnose without physically seeing it. Seeing the prop, it would have been obvious that something was wrong with how the prop fit the gearcase and the length of prop shaft threads after the nut. Mercury uses a lock nut and keeper washer. If it was cotter pin setup like Yamaha, the cotter pin would have been way past the castle nut, which might have given a clue to the installer that something was wrong.

A couple of short stories. Just had a customer in where his F20 would start(sometimes), but would not stay running. Customer was convinced it was something major, after a couple of minutes of poking around, it was just a reversed fuel hose assy from the tank to the engine. Yamaha uses the same fittings on both sides of the hose, so it can be done.

Another customer came in with a F70 that he was convinced it must be a ECU problem, and needed the software connected to it because it must be something major. After 20 minutes of poking around(without the software), it was just one bad spark plug.

Finally, a few years back I was helping a customer figure out his F115 problem by email an phone. Brand new boat, 1st time boat owner. He felt the boat should be faster. The top speed didn't seem fast enough. I asked him what his wide open throttle rpms where. I can't recall exactly but they were low. Asked for his prop size and he wasn't sure how to get the number so I asked him to send me a picture of the numbers on the prop. Which he did. It turns out is was a counter rotation prop. On a standard rotation engine. I asked him how he drove it and how it shifted into gear. Of course reverse shift handle movement was forward gear. He didn't know any better since it was his first boat and obviously the dealer didn't water test it. It was a 703 control box, and reverse has limited throttle movement compared to forward. After talking with Yamaha and the customer talking with the dealer, Yamaha graciously good willed him a new lower unit(since he drove it around this way for over a year), and the dealer provided the correct prop.

Without a picture of that prop, we would still be huntin and peckin at troubleshooting it. Which reminds me of this thread. I'm not saying anything negative to the thread starter, its just a reminder to me to ask for some pictures.

Glad you got it figured out! I would be looking for any damage inside the gearcase bearing carrier area where the prop was bound up against.
                            Andrew Munao Jr
                            Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                            888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Working...
                            X