2004 F150 Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F150 Oil leak

2004 F150 oil leak? I ran offshore yesterday 50 miles trolled for 6 hours and ran back home. Motors ran great cruised 29 mph 4100 rpms. Got back to docked tilted motors up to flush and noticed oil sheen on water. Not coming from tilt rams. Oil was on motor bracket possibly coming from mid section? Too dark to get a good look but will get down to boat in day or two to look around. Read a lot of post regarding crankshaft seals? Anything else should be checked? No oil in lower cowling or from oil change.
    Motors have 680 hours.
    Thanks

Originally posted by rjtfd View Post
    2004 F150 oil leak? I ran offshore yesterday 50 miles trolled for 6 hours and ran back home. Motors ran great cruised 29 mph 4100 rpms. Got back to docked tilted motors up to flush and noticed oil sheen on water. Not coming from tilt rams. Oil was on motor bracket possibly coming from mid section? Too dark to get a good look but will get down to boat in day or two to look around. Read a lot of post regarding crankshaft seals? Anything else should be checked? No oil in lower cowling or from oil change.
    Motors have 680 hours.
    Thanks
    More than likely. Powerhead has to be removed to access that area.

Comment

How difficult to fix? What is involved in repair? Is it something I could tackle? I would need a lift to pull power head

Comment

How difficult to fix? What is involved in repair? Is it something I could tackle? I would need a lift to pull power head
        All depends on your skill level with outboards and tools.
        Powerhead comes off, new oil pump and seal. Stuff goes back on, not extremely difficult, but you do need to pay attention.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1aM0Kb9qc0&t=164s

Comment

Remove the gearcase and see if the driveshaft is covered with engine oil. If so, the infamous rusted crankshaft problem probably tore up the oil pump seals. Your dealer has a multi-page service bulletin (2008-026) about that which consists of a stainless steel sleeve pressed over the rusted and grooved area of the crank.

Comment

Seahorse rocks!
              listen to him!
              BWP

Comment

So mechanic pulled lower unit to check the shaft. No oil on shaft and shaft looks good no wear. Looked everywhere around lower cowling and clean as can be. He does not see any great amount of oil at apron. He is going to pull midsection apron off but he didn’t think it would show anything under it. Could it just be oil spilled from oil change in November and some residual found its way out on my last trip? Boat ran great 50 miles out and 50 back after trolling for 6 hours. Oil level is where it was from before trip.

Comment

So mechanic pulled lower unit to check the shaft. No oil on shaft and shaft looks good no wear. Looked everywhere around lower cowling and clean as can be. He does not see any great amount of oil at apron. He is going to pull midsection apron off but he didn’t think it would show anything under it. Could it just be oil spilled from oil change in November and some residual found its way out on my last trip? Boat ran great 50 miles out and 50 back after trolling for 6 hours. Oil level is where it was from before trip.
                  Very possible.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1
                  Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Working...
                  X