Yamaha F60 - can the rectifier/regulator be upgraded to something more stable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F60 - can the rectifier/regulator be upgraded to something more stable?

I want to run a LiFePO4 battery that I already own, however, they need a reliable charge voltage no more than 14.4v. 14.0v would be even better. I see my voltage hang around 14.9v at times.

Can the rectifier/regulator assembly be upgraded to something that supplies a stricter voltage output?

My 2010 model uses the older 6D3-81960-00 rectifier/regulator. 2011 onwards uses 68V-81960-10. I wonder if swapping to that one will improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by bradsm87 View Post
      My 2010 model uses the older 6D3-81960-00 rectifier/regulator. 2011 onwards uses 68V-81960-10. I wonder if swapping to that one will improve it.
      I can't say it won't - but there is no information to suggest that it will.

The change was made under Tech Exchange 02008-024 -
      and the stated difference between the parts,
      was changing the wiring attachment from a fixed plug, to a flexible harness.

Apparently there were problems with the fixed style connection due to engine vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Dog View Post

Apparently there were problems with the fixed style connection due to engine vibration.
        Thanks for the info.

It seems mine does have the later one then. I just pulled part numbers from the parts catalogue for 2010 and 2011 models. Mine is from late 2010.

I suspect they are simple devices and could be built. I just don't know where to start. I just want a consistent 14.4v at the most like a car.

Comment

I suspect they are simple devices and could be built. I
          No doubt. I have always been interested, but too mentally lazy, to learn electronics.

Google is awash with how-tos (and some off-the-shelf products)
          if you search for motorcycle voltage regulator -
          bikes use a permanent magnet alternator just like your Yamaha
          and voltage regulation is a problem for them

I imagine that the best solution would be an add-on regulator -
          keep the existing rectifier/regulator doing the heavy lifting -

From the information I've seen, the maximum net output of a F60 alternator is only 8.5 amps
          so it shouldn't take very heavy duty electronics.

the challenge would be where to mount it under the cowl -
          there shouldn't be too much heat to disperse, just shaving off that 0.9 volts
          but there will be some..

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Dog View Post

It could be for vibration, but another reason might be when the RR fails, its usually because of heat. We have had to replace engine harnesses because those RR's with direct plug in connectors are melted, requiring the harness replacement. Moving them away with the flexible wiring makes them less likely to get heat damaged.
            Andrew Munao Jr
            Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
            888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes searching the internet for motorcycle products has found plenty of suitable products to my attention. I'll get the same connector and pins as Yamaha uses from Aliexpress so I don't have to touch the original loom.

Comment

In case anyone comes across this in future from searching, genuine Shindengen Rectifier Regulators are the way to go.

The SH678RA R/R on the F50-F115 is a cheap sloppy old style SCR shunt regulator that regulates the big range of between 14.1V and 14.9V.

The FH020AA is a MOSFET shunt R/R and regulates around 14.3V very well.
                The SH847AA is an SCR series R/R and regulates 14.4V well and due to being series instead of shunt, is the most efficient overall.

FH020AA is Yamaha P/N 1D7-81960-01-00 or Honda 31600-MGZ-J01
                SH847AA is Suzuki P/N 32800-31J00

There are LOTS of shitty fakes out there. The best way to get a good deal on a genuine is to buy from this guy:

https://roadstercycle.com/
                Last edited by bradsm87; 06-14-2019, 05:51 AM.

Comment

In case anyone comes across this in future from searching, genuine Shindengen Rectifier Regulators are the way to go.
                  Great info !

The www is marvelous -
                  it would have been impossible to obtain that information,
                  in 24 hours, pre-internet

Comment

Also Can-Am part number 715900027 appears to be an adaptor straight from the same connector as the outboard uses to any newer style regulators (FH012, FH020, SH775, SH847). There are Aliexpress knock-offs of the adaptor for USD$27. It's important to get a genuine regulator but not so much the adaptor.

Comment

Working...
                    X