XD100 in a VRO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XD100 in a VRO?

1991 Evinrude 100hp. I ran some pre mixed in the gas after a vro rebuild.
    I had xd 50 in the vro tank, and she drank all she should have.
    One thing is, she only smoked like she was drinking her normal chugs of xd 50.
    I didn't notice any extra smoke from being double strength 50 to 1 pre mix of xd 100, and the normal vro mix of xd 50 from the tank.
    So, I'm thinking about switching her over to a steady xd 100 diet.
    That xd 100 sure does smell weird, but if it doesn't smoke, I can live with it, lol.

Anybody else tried it? Any reason not to that I'm missing?

I'm guessing other than the cost and cutting down on the smoke, it doesn't matter.
    You could use another synthetic blend, might be cheaper.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
      I'm guessing other than the cost and cutting down on the smoke, it doesn't matter.
      You could use another synthetic blend, might be cheaper.
      Xd 50 is a 50/50 synthetic/dino blend. Xd 100 is full synthetic.
      I'm not worried about the cost. The difference isn't that much more than the xd 50 I'm already running.
      That is unless it turns her into a fancy boat anchor.
      I just like that it didn't cause any extra smoke. I've pre mixed after a vro rebuild on other engines, and it looked like I was fogging mosquitoes, lol.
      So, I just wanted to hear from someone that's made the switch, but I guess these engines are getting kinda rare, as I cannot find anybody else that has done it.

I also run a Johnson 9.9 kicker. I'm thinking about using the xd 100 for her pre mix, to eliminate the smoke,
      but again, I cannot seem to find anybody else that's done it.

Comment

If you go boating in cold weather , Evinrude XD-100 synthetic oil is required by the factory in VRO and E-TEC engines when the temps get near freezing or colder.

Comment

Originally posted by billgran View Post
          If you go boating in cold weather , Evinrude XD-100 synthetic oil is required by the factory in VRO and E-TEC engines when the temps get near freezing or colder.
          Yea, that's what my dealer said, too. I guess I've just been lucky in the past, I did not know that. I used to even run xd 25, then 30, then 50 in her before switching to 100. I responded to a thread on tht and somebody responded and said the xd50 is now cold rated down to 0°. IDK, but it doesn't really matter, as I think I'm going to run xd 100 full time. Now, if the wind and rain would stop for a few days.........

Comment

Here is the story of the VRO (now OMS ) and how it is misunderstood. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Comment

Here is the story of the VRO (now OMS ) and how it is misunderstood. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
              Wow! Very informative, I never knew.
              Thanks for posting and thank you for joining BoB!
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

There have been many questions around disconnecting Precision Blend systems also. Even a couple HPDI guys wanted to premix!

Comment

If they pre-mixed fuel in an HPDI after disconnecting the oil injection system, I wonder how much running time elapsed before the motor froze up or threw a rod?

Comment

If they pre-mixed fuel in an HPDI after disconnecting the oil injection system, I wonder how much running time elapsed before the motor froze up or threw a rod?
                    True.....don't premix your HPDI. Its a direct injected outboard. It needs the 2-stroke oil coming in with the air.
                    Andrew Munao Jr
                    Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                    888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post

True.....don't premix your HPDI. Its a direct injected outboard. It needs the 2-stroke oil coming in with the air.
                      Not my idea. I’ll stick with 4 strokes. But the concept was brought up on another forum. There are those that think it’s better to engineer their own motors.

Comment

Working...
                      X