2005 Yamaha 250HPDI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2005 Yamaha 250HPDI

    Saw a thread on another site that got me to wondering. 05 250HPDI needs rebuilding ("It has two blown heads but they didn't dig too deep into it"). Motor has 700 hours. Is it worth rebuilding and approximate cost to do. Also he was told rebuilds were only 70% successful. I have a hard time with that after rebuilding thousands of auto engines, both gas and diesel.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Slough View Post
    Saw a thread on another site that got me to wondering. 05 250HPDI needs rebuilding ("It has two blown heads but they didn't dig too deep into it"). Motor has 700 hours. Is it worth rebuilding NO and approximate cost to do. More than it's worth. Also he was told rebuilds were only 70% successful. True, but then most of the time the guys doing them do them H--- A--- and with non OEM parts. I have a hard time with that after rebuilding thousands of auto engines, both gas and diesel.
    Those engines have a reputation of blowing, if you have a good one, they stay good, got a bad one, they stay bad.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    954.463.4904
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

    oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

    Member of the MSHS Group

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm a fan of HPDI's and I would never get involved with the large block motors. Mostly just because of what I've read.

      Comment


      • #4
        I had an '06 300 HPDI, around 625ish hours when I sold boat.
        Guess I got a good (lucky) one because I never had a problem.

        '12 Blackwood - 300 Verado's
        '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
        '18 Fountain 38 - 350 Verado's

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, it just made me wonder when I read it. $8000 to rebuild?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Slough View Post
            Thanks, it just made me wonder when I read it. $8000 to rebuild?
            Sounds close.
            1k a hole for pistons and such.
            $8300 smackers retail for a short block. There are three (3) in stock.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            954.463.4904
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

            oparker@parkeryacht.com
            www.parkeryacht.com

            Member of the MSHS Group

            Comment


            • #7
              Anybody ever witnessed a big block over 1500 hours with no rebuilds?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

                Those engines have a reputation of blowing, if you have a good one, they stay good, got a bad one, they stay bad.
                Certainly seems to be the case.

                How much of it is the operator? Most operators have no problems with their big block HPDI's whereas one operator may have problems with many. The same one with a new block or a completely new one.

                Bass boaters seem to be particularly hard on the big block HPDI's?

                Now why did the predecessors and the successors of the big block HPDI's have knock sensors but the HPDI's did not get one? What the heck was Yam thinking?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've got a buddy who just blew up a 200 HPDI by sucking in salt water through the cowling gasket. It was on a bracket that tended to go under water when he stopped quickly or in rough water. I think as I recall the small block was around $4000 And the total rebuild was around $6000. Definitely operator error. And, it was only a couple of weeks after I told him he needed a new gasket.

                  Maybe that could have been one of the problems on the big blocks since lot's of them were either on brackets, or sat low in the water?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sailfish 218 View Post
                    I've got a buddy who just blew up a 200 HPDI by sucking in salt water through the cowling gasket. It was on a bracket that tended to go under water when he stopped quickly or in rough water. I think as I recall the small block was around $4000 And the total rebuild was around $6000. Definitely operator error. And, it was only a couple of weeks after I told him he needed a new gasket.

                    Maybe that could have been one of the problems on the big blocks since lot's of them were either on brackets, or sat low in the water?
                    Good point, idk, but sounds reasonable.
                    Mine sat up just fine, or at least I thought it did, while attached to the transom of an Action Craft 2310
                    Believe I followed break-in procedure pretty well.
                    What was, if known, the main cause of detonation?
                    '12 Blackwood - 300 Verado's
                    '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
                    '18 Fountain 38 - 350 Verado's

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jethro1 View Post



                      Now why did the predecessors and the successors of the big block HPDI's have knock sensors but the HPDI's did not get one? What the heck was Yam thinking?
                      I've wondered why the big blocks don't have an O2 sensor and the small blocks do ???, do you know why ?.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gnrphil View Post

                        I've wondered why the big blocks don't have an O2 sensor and the small blocks do ???, do you know why ?.
                        Nope. Wish I knew what Yam was thinking about a lot of stuff. For instance, if say five parts are needed to fulfill a function why is Yamaha prone to using five plus X parts?

                        When I see some of Yams designs I think of Rube Goldberg.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jethro1 View Post

                          Nope. Wish I knew what Yam was thinking about a lot of stuff. For instance, if say five parts are needed to fulfill a function why is Yamaha prone to using five plus X parts?

                          When I see some of Yams designs I think of Rube Goldberg.
                          Had a customer ask me this question this morning on the phone. I told him the reason was so we could sell lots of 02 sensor gaskets.

                          Here is the next conundrum......Yamaha peppers sacrificial anodes all over the interior parts of new engines. Good thing, right? How many do Mercury Verado's have? Zero....zilch....natta. Good thing? I don't know. But what I do know is what can an anode can do if no water is present(engine off). Water drains out of the blocks for the most part when you shut the engine off. So they are there to protect from corrosion while the engine is running? Mercury doesn't seem to think its worth the effort.

                          Who is right? no idea.
                          Andrew Munao Jr
                          Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                          888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SIM View Post

                            Had a customer ask me this question this morning on the phone. I told him the reason was so we could sell lots of 02 sensor gaskets.

                            Here is the next conundrum......Yamaha peppers sacrificial anodes all over the interior parts of new engines. Good thing, right? How many do Mercury Verado's have? Zero....zilch....natta. Good thing? I don't know. But what I do know is what can an anode can do if no water is present(engine off). Water drains out of the blocks for the most part when you shut the engine off. So they are there to protect from corrosion while the engine is running? Mercury doesn't seem to think its worth the effort.

                            Who is right? no idea.
                            Don't know either. If someone can find the Master of Corrosion, be it a him or a her. Let me know. I have a few questions.

                            That's one of them thar good THT topics. Get all sorts of fine answers.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Neighbor had his 250 HPDI blow up. After rebuild, it blew again - this time because of a oil injector problem. Rebuilt again under warranty. He now mixes his gas and oil. Nice boat (25' Cobia), very experienced boater (his stage name is the fishin' musician), POS engine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X